Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a newb so need some help (thanks in advance). I have a 2009 prius with 170k miles. After our extreme cold snap a week or 2 ago where it was minus 10 degrees here I was met with a lot of simultaneous warning lights on my dash (the Big red triangle with the exclamation point, the braking system light (ie. the yellow exclamation point encased by a circle, the VSC light and the check engine light) I went to autozone and they did the system check and it said the following (it indicated problems with the power train system , the antilock brake system and service interval light, additionally it said I needed to replace the battery and had the following codes:
C2300 (actuator system malfunction)
C2318 (low voltage)
C1241 (battery)
C1300 (ECU malfunction
C!#!) (malfunction in HV system)

My question is which battery needs to be changed - the 12 Volt auxiliary battery or the (much more expensive and probably represents the death knell of my beloved Prius) Hybrid System Battery?

THANKS!!!!!!!

· Super Moderator
'17 C 4
755 Posts
My question is which battery needs to be changed - the 12 Volt auxiliary battery or the (much more expensive and probably represents the death knell of my beloved Prius) Hybrid System Battery?
You can not trust any diagnostic results unless you are positively sure that the 12 V battery is healthy and fully charged.
And that the main cable connections are good.......at both ends.
So you need to address that first.

They should have told you that at Autozone.
They also test (and sell) 12 V batteries.

Note: IF your vehicle is not driven regularly and for a decent distance,
you NEED go find another way to keep the 12 V fully charged.
That usually is a battery tender.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 prius with 170k miles. After our extreme cold snap a week or 2 ago where it was minus 10 degrees here I was met with a lot of simultaneous warning lights on my dash (the Big red triangle with the exclamation point, the braking system light (ie. the yellow exclamation point encased by a circle, the VSC light and the check engine light) I went to autozone and they did the system check and it said the following (it indicated problems with the power train system , the antilock brake system and service interval light, additionally it said I needed to replace the battery and had the following codes:
C2300 (actuator system malfunction)
C2318 (low voltage)
C1241 (battery)
C1300 (ECU malfunction
C!#!) (malfunction in HV system)

THANKS!!!!!!!
It sounds like you may have a few different issues going on with your 2009 Prius. The codes that you mentioned suggest that there may be problems with the powertrain system, the ABS system, and the hybrid system. It also appears that there may be an issue with the battery, as the code C1241 (battery) was identified.
To determine which battery needs to be replaced, it would be best to consult with a mechanic or dealership. The 12 Volt auxiliary battery is used to power the vehicle's accessories and is typically less expensive to replace than the hybrid system battery. The hybrid system battery, also known as the high voltage battery, is used to power the hybrid system and is typically more expensive to replace.
It is worth noting that the warning lights on your dashboard are there to alert you to potential issues with your vehicle, and it is important to have them addressed as soon as possible to avoid further damage. It is recommended that you have your vehicle inspected by a mechanic to determine the cause of the warning lights and to address any necessary repairs.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm with Easy Rider on this one. Charge/test the 12 volt battery, clear the DTCs and go from there. Cold weather discharges/kills 12v batteries. Low voltage will cause all kinds of codes to set. It's not likely that you have multiple problems that all suddenly occurred at the same time. Keep it simple.

· Super Moderator
'17 C 4
755 Posts
Cold weather discharges/kills 12v batteries.
While it is a common misconception, cold temperatures do NOT discharge or kill a battery......unless it freezes......which happens somewhere around -30F.

Being cold actually slows down the aging process.

Now, while it is cold, the capacity will be reduced somewhat but it should rebound when it warms up again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts