Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08' Prius with 226,000 miles on it. To the best of my knowledge the Traction Battery is original. When sitting in a parking lot, in a drive thru, or in traffic the air conditioning works well. The air is plenty cold, even on hot days. When on interstate or a 4 lane doing highway speeds it is not so cold. It almost gets uncomfortable. When I lift off the throttle or put it into B the air cools off as well. Could that be a sign of a failing Traction Battery? If the AC is based on a 300V compressor and the battery is on the low end of acceptable voltage then there could be enough voltage loss when under load to the drive motors to affect the output of the compressor and the efficiency of the system. Recently we've had a heat wave where I live, and I know high temperature and dewpoint air has an incredible amount of enthalpy so full capacity is an important thing right now. Any input is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
654 Posts
The faster you are going, the more likely that some of your battery will be used for propulsion and/or that it won't be charging ANY.

It is highly likely that your traction battery is on it's last legs.
The next thing you may notice is the charge level "gauge" going from full to empty and back MUCH faster than it used to.

Part of your AC problem might be that it is not in recirculate mode......or that mode isn't working right.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts