Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Prius, when I slow down as approaching an intersection, I hear a tik tik tik sound that slows as the car slows then stops. I do not hear it at other times. It seems to come from the area of the speedometer. Any ideas as to what the sound is?
Gerald

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
603 Posts
Does stepping on the brake pedal change the sound any ?
Or does it only happen when your foot is ON the brake already ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only occurs when coasting to a stop, only noticeable just before full stop. pressing the brake pedal has nothing to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
603 Posts
It only occurs when coasting to a stop, only noticeable just before full stop. pressing the brake pedal has nothing to do with it.
Do you know the details of how the brakes actually work ?
Like when you push the pedal with a light to moderate force it first cuts in electric motor braking.......and doesn't actually engage the mechanical brake pads until you have already slowed WAY down ?

The clicking could be coming from the brakes since in most stops they won't actually be applied until "just before a full stop".
Find a deserted parking lot or a road with no traffic and coast down to about 0 MPH without touching the brake pedal.

If it really is not the brakes, does you model have hub caps.......or mag wheels ?

Probably going to need a shop inspection to find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know the details of how the brakes actually work ?
Like when you push the pedal with a light to moderate force it first cuts in electric motor braking.......and doesn't actually engage the mechanical brake pads until you have already slowed WAY down ?

The clicking could be coming from the brakes since in most stops they won't actually be applied until "just before a full stop".
Find a deserted parking lot or a road with no traffic and coast down to about 0 MPH without touching the brake pedal.

If it really is not the brakes, does you model have hub caps.......or mag wheels ?

Probably going to need a shop inspection to find it.
Update to the post. The tik sound occurs when lightly applying brakes just before stopping.

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
603 Posts
Update to the post. The tik sound occurs when lightly applying brakes just before stopping.
Yes, that is what I understood you to say all along.
You need to have your brakes inspected.......and the tires and wheels.
While it sounds unusual, it might be as simple as a rock stuck in the tread of one tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts