Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Has 168,590 miles. Last week I started the car and it shook badly, opened hood and saw engine shaking, shut off engine, then started it back up and it went back to normal running. Couple days later it did it again. Then it happened again when I left it at home and my son started the car. So not happening always, but knew something was happening. Took to a mechanic I knew and he said he has seen this before and says needs the engine replaced and gave me Reseda Engines and his guess would be $2,000. I had them replace a 1989 Honda Civic engine for me 10 or so years ago. Contacted them and they quoted a used engine from Japan for $1,495, and $895 for labor with 6 month warranty. They said they have seen a lot of Prius's come in. I asked the average mileage on those cars and he said between 150,000 to 170,000 miles. My car has the original hybrid battery.

So what is anybody's recommendation on this. I read the other discussion on this blog regarding shaking engine, so I am also asking about this. Take it to Toyota dealership for their diagnosis, replace the engine, or is their a simple fix?

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
Some models of these engines tend to accumulate oil in the bottom of the intake manifold because of excessive blow-by through the PCV system.

If you really want to "tinker" search for "oil catch can" on here and other Prius forums.
OR.....figure out how to access that pool of oil and suck it OUT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After I first posted, I was driving this morning and the Check Engine Light came on. Error Code PO302 Cylinder 2 Misfire. Would the accumulated oil also cause? I ran the OBDII once and it showed 3 of the cylinders had showed misfires, then I cleared the errors and drove for a while and waited for the check engine light to come back again. Then I checked again and it then it only showed Cylinder 2 misfired.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
Would the accumulated oil also cause?
Yes. Just another symptom of high oil usage in an older engine.
How much oil does it use between changes ?
It probably needs plugs (maybe a higher heat range) and it might be time to start using "high mileage" oil too.
Or time to think about a trade-in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen where I am low on oil before the time is up for an oil change. So should I spend $2,900 to replace the engine with a used engine from Japan that is supposed to have 50,000 miles on it. And the battery is the original. Take it to a dealership to see what they will charge to repair. Or fix it myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After watching the YouTube on the Catch Can Oil, where do you get one of those ordered, and/or suck out the oil?

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
I have seen where I am low on oil before the time is up for an oil change. So should I spend $2,900 to replace the engine with a used engine from Japan that is supposed to have 50,000 miles on it. And the battery is the original. Take it to a dealership to see what they will charge to repair. Or fix it myself.
I don't like any of those options.

IF......you can cut down on the oil that accumulates buy using a slightly thicker "High mileage" oil, you might get by with just changing the plugs.

Then you can just enjoy driving it until something drastic happens......like the hybrid battery.......and then get rid of it.
Putting a lot of money into an OLD car is often NOT a wise thing to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I watched the YouTube video regarding the catch can oil and it shows removing the intake manifold. I received new spark plugs today so will see what course of action to follow after replacing the plugs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I changed the plugs and haven't experienced the shaking lately but when I watched the YouTube video I couldn't believe having to have to all the windshield wipers, wiper motor and everything, but I did it and not too difficult and easier than what I first thought when watching the video. Hopefully the shaking doesn't occur anytime soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put in what Amazon had. Forgot about a higher range. Plugs looked alright, black. But figured about right. Don't know how many miles on those plugs. Been a week and seemed away, then I got rhe check engine light, PO302, Cylinder 2 misfiring. Now what?

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
PO302, Cylinder 2 misfiring. Now what?
BLACK is NOT OK for spark plugs.
That cylinder might have unusually high oil usage.
Or you might have a leaking head gasket.

Have a look at that plug and wire. Beyond that, I think you need help from a shop.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
They aren't oily. Just the way plugs look with many miles on them.
Let's try this one more time:

BLACK plugs is NOT normal and is NOT OK.

When I said to check the plug in that cylinder, I meant to have a look at the NEW one.
Before the oil pumping gets bad enough to make a plug oily, the oil burns and makes the plug BLACK.

Also an overly rich fuel mixture can make them black too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided to remove the EGR and the cooler and used oven cleaner to clean the carbon. The EGR valve really needed it. Was going to check the spark plug too. Lost the gasket for the tube that connects the EGR to the intake. Dealership parts had to order it for me to pick up next day. Next day on way to dealership on my motorcycle, a cargo van stopped at a left turn only light decided to turn right and cross 3 lanes with light green for me. Hit street instead of him. He stopped so that is good. Broken or fractured tibia, I'm home after the ER and have to wait to put the Prius back together now. Have to keep my left leg straight and seeing a orthopedic surgeon tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts