Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, at 105K miles, my engine in the 2017 Prius 4 Touring needed to be totally repaired/replaced. Car can not be driven. Symptoms...the heater was malfunctioning. Dirty exhaust from my exhaust pipe.
Was told by service staff that coolant had entered the engine...at 105k miles!! Car has been maintained perfectly over the 105K miles per all Toyota maintenance instructions. Car only serviced at Toyota dealership.

Toyota corporate would not recognize responsibility for serious premature engine failure. After much discussion they required that, if I wanted to drive the car again, I would have to pay for labor associated with engine rebuild...about $2500.00. They would supply all necessary parts at their expense.

My 100K extended warranty had just expired! Toyota only provided me with a 12 month/12K miles warranty on their rebuilt engine. Not much confidence there!!! I asked for a better warranty term/coverage and they said NO! This is it...take it or leave it.

Finally, with Toyota being one of the few major automakers that did NOT subscribe to the CA fuel emission regulations (Toyota was one of a few companies that supported Trump's emissions rules)...until recently; and with the recent heavy fines ($180 million) levied against Toyota for longstanding violations of the Clean Air Act, I am DONE with the brand. Will drive the 2017 Prius till it dies/ or trade it in soon. I will buy another car without any Toyota branding.

Very unhappy with Toyota. Severe engine failure at 105K is never acceptable...and with extremely limited Toyota Corp support/remedies and failing to take significant ownership/responsibility of the engine failure has killed my love and loyalty to the brand.

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
Very unhappy with Toyota. Severe engine failure at 105K is never acceptable...and with extremely limited Toyota Corp support/remedies and failing to take significant ownership/responsibility of the engine failure has killed my love and loyalty to the brand.
I think you are expecting too much.

They are under NO legal or moral obligation to provide you with any coverage above and beyond their warranty.
Things like this happen every day with almost every brand on the market. Stuff happens.
Can you afford to pay $200K for a car ? If so, you might get better "support". Might not too.

I wish you luck in choosing your next car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts