Toyota Prius Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2008 Prius about 2 weeks ago with 97k miles, 1 owner, for 5,910 after TTL, and they said it just needed some brake work, which after test driving it myself it did seem that way (The Brakes would catch fairly harshly at low speeds, 13mph and below). So I looked up some info and found that it would need a new ABS module, and got scared a bit after I found out how much that would be to purchase a new one, and worried if that was something I could even do myself. I found a good Seller on Ebay that ships out of Houston (Near me), and it was $400 after tax for a Used Abs Module with a 90 day warranty. I did all the right steps and put the newer one in and Now more lights are popping up on the dash than before. I bled the brakes with my brother's help and got as much air out as we could see, yet the lights are still on. Any Idea's??

The Lights Are:
Master Warning Light (which was not on before).
Check Engine (Not on Before)
Brake
ABS
Brake System Warning Light
And the Sker Sker light (Stability Control).

I attempted the resetting with a wire in the Code Reading Terminal with no Luck. Ty for any Help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just bought a 2008 Prius about 2 weeks ago with 97k miles, 1 owner, for 5,910 after TTL, and they said it just needed some brake work, which after test driving it myself it did seem that way (The Brakes would catch fairly harshly at low speeds, 13mph and below). So I looked up some info and found that it would need a new ABS module, and got scared a bit after I found out how much that would be to purchase a new one, and worried if that was something I could even do myself. I found a good Seller on Ebay that ships out of Houston (Near me), and it was $400 after tax for a Used Abs Module with a 90 day warranty. I did all the right steps and put the newer one in and Now more lights are popping up on the dash than before. I bled the brakes with my brother's help and got as much air out as we could see, yet the lights are still on. Any Idea's??

The Lights Are:
Master Warning Light (which was not on before).
Check Engine (Not on Before)
Brake
ABS
Brake System Warning Light
And the Sker Sker light (Stability Control).

I attempted the resetting with a wire in the Code Reading Terminal with no Luck. Ty for any Help.
Also, the Car doesn't move into Drive/ Reverse anymore.....

·
Super Moderator
535 Posts
I suggest that your "research" led you to an incorrect conclusion.

I also suggest that you put the original module BACK in as it's pretty obvious that the replacement is worse off than the original.

So now you are out $400 because it is unlikely that they will take it back......"warranty" not withstanding.

Sometimes paying a shop is the best option.
Maybe you just needed new brake pads.

Trying to fix an ABS brake system with no experience or training is VERY often a mistake.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It definitely is the ABS module, and a guess that's it's just the Brake pads is a bad guess. Even being unfamiliar with what All Exactly is going on, especially after I mentioned bleeding the Brakes, that would suggest to most I checked or to the least saw the rotors or brake pads in the area. You told me nothing I wasn't thinking already, but I appreciate the attempt.

·
Super Moderator
535 Posts
It definitely is the ABS module,
Your first post left out some critical information.
You failed to mention that warning lights were ON before you changed the module.

What conclusion do you think "most" would come to now ?

My guess remains that your "new" module is worse off than the original.
That's my last "attempt" since you really don't seem to appreciate my input.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts