Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Prius was having an overheating issue and the electric water pump was failing along with the thermostat. The mechanic recommended a cooling system flush.

They then "recommended" a fuel system cleaning service at $ 1,399 USD. Is this reasonable?

They also are trying to sell me on a fan and filter for my battery which is dirty ($577.59). I can see how the 2 are needed, but the fuel system cleaning seemed suspect.

I understand if you aren't doing the actual diagnostic, an accurate reading can't be done. What is your experience or understanding with these issues? Any info is appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
663 Posts
You can accomplish your own "fuel system cleaning" by putting twice the recommended amount of Techron into the gas tank. That will cost you around $10. Berrymans B12 Chemtool and Gumout are also good.

The battery filter should be replaced or cleaned but there is NO good reason to replace the fan if it is still working.

Maybe you need to find a different dealer. They are scamming you.

·
Super Moderator
Prius 2022 Excel
17 Posts
I agree with Easy Rider. Filter yes fan no. If the blades are dirty get a “can of air“ from your local PC shop and blow the fan blades.
I also agree with a fuel Additive I used Redex in the UK , which I believe is sold as Redline in the US.
there are commercial flushing additives available for your cooling system. See if you can get a Haynes manual to show the steps for your model. Top up with Toyota OEM coolant though there are nightmare stories of those who haven’t.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts