Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In May I purchased a 2021 Prius Prime and am looking to upgrade the electrical outlet in my garage. Does anyone know if a 240 outlet will work well. Also, a friend offered to sell me his -chargepoint+ which will not work with his new tesla. Any thoughts or suggestions on upgraging my electrical would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
Is there not a section in your owners manual where it tells about charging connections ?

If you have a 240 outlet installed, then you need a 240 volt charging "cord" for it to do you any good.

And if you don't have a real need to "fast" charge very often, then the "upgrade" to 240 is really gaining you little to nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there not a section in your owners manual where it tells about charging connections ?

If you have a 240 outlet installed, then you need a 240 volt charging "cord" for it to do you any good.

And if you don't have a real need to "fast" charge very often, then the "upgrade" to 240 is really gaining you little to nothing.
Thanks for your reply. The manual only talks about charging in a 110 outlet. I am looking for the convenience of getting a full charge in 2 hours vs 6 hours. I found 2 options, Chargepoint and Leviton charging units. I looked into the Chargepoint since my friend wants to sell me one for $400. Here is the link on Chargepoint:

·
Super Moderator
570 Posts
I looked into the Chargepoint since my friend wants to sell me one for $400.
Sounds like you are getting the information you need.
But also consider this:
You still have a hybrid.......that will run on gas when it needs to and you likely are saving some but not a LOT on electric.

So.....how many "extra" electric miles will you have to get from fast charging to make up the expense of a 240 connection?? $400 for the station and maybe $200 for the install by a licensed electrician.
At $3 a gallon, you would have to NOT use 200 gallons of gas to break even.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts