Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While moving across the states, I was towing our 2004 Prius on a flat bed and we were rear ended by a lifted pick up causing some damage to the rear left side. It seemed to be only body damage. However, after taking it off the trailer and driving it around to see if it was drivable, it drove extremely sluggish as if the brakes were being applied but the power train was acting normally. For example, when at a complete stop on a flat surface, when releasing my foot off the brake, the car barely moved. These lights showed up on the dash in the picture provided. I decided to look underneath the Prius to inspect if there was any further damage. I noticed this one little gray arm that was snapped in half that was connected to what seems to be a sensor and cannot figure out what it could be. I also discovered that after lifting the rear wheels off the floor, the right rear wheel would not spin freely. I attached some pictures of the snapped piece and am hoping someone can help me figure out what it is and if there is anything else I should check for given the explanation.

· Super Moderator
'17 C 4
755 Posts
You have gone to a LOT of trouble posting pictures in a place where you likely can NOT get any real help.

In my opinion, you should have a dealer do an insurance estimate on it......and NOT drive it in it's current condition.

Hope the jacked up pickup driver has insurance because HE should pay for your damage, even if you decide not to keep the car.

Alas a car that is almost 20 years old might not be worth much if totaled, which the insurance probably would do.

I also personally think, given the damages shown in the pictures, that you should NOT try to fix this yourself.
There may be hidden damage that you can't see that will make the car unsafe to drive without professional repair.

Good luck.

· Registered
18 Posts
Alas a car that is almost 20 years old might not be worth much if totaled, which the insurance probably would do.
Twice now, I've had cars totalled because of sheet metal damage. Once two deer attacked the car and once when the car had a disagreement with a Jersey wall. Both times I bought the car back from the insurance company, took their check, and had the damage repaired for half of what they gave me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts