Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I got a 2007 Prius with 180,000 miles on it about a month ago. Since then, I've been averaging ~30mpg, closer to 40 when I'm mostly driving on the highway. Maybe this is typical for older cars, but this is lower than I anticipated!

Are there changes I should make to my driving style to improve this? I tend to coast a lot and I'm not much of a speed demon.

I'm also wondering if this might indicate something wrong. I'm guessing people will advise me to take it in, which I will do, but I'll feel more confident doing that if I have a little information beforehand!

· Super Moderator
'17 C 4
755 Posts
Hello! I got a 2007 Prius with 180,000 miles on it about a month ago.
Let's see......a car that is ~ 16 years old, with 180K milles on it and presumably the original hybrid HV battery......
I really think you are lucky that it runs at all. :oops:

OK, well that's somewhat of an exaggeration but not much.
I wonder what the EPA estimated mileage was back in '07 ??

I honestly think your numbers are reasonable.
As the hybrid battery gets weak, the gas engine will run more.

Rather than worrying about the gas mileage, you should be checking the oil frequently because it certainly will be using a little; maybe a LOT.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, it is lucky!! The previous owner did put a new hybrid battery in a few months before I purchased it, but it's certainly had a long life already.

Is there a particular oil I should be sure to keep on hand that's best for Priuses?

· Super Moderator
'17 C 4
755 Posts
Is there a particular oil I should be sure to keep on hand that's best for Priuses?
No. There is nothing particularly unique about the gas engine in a Prius.
IF.....is isn't using much oil yet, just use whatever was recommended for that year model.
Probably stamped on the oil filler cap.

IF it is using a quart or more between changes, consider using a "High mileage" oil that is a bit thicker than the original recommendation, often a 10W40. That might reduce the oil consumption. Might not too.
And should NOT be used if it is not needed.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello! I got a 2007 Prius with 180,000 miles on it about a month ago. Since then, I've been averaging ~30mph, closer to 40 when I'm mostly driving on the highway. Maybe this is typical for older cars, but this is lower than I anticipated!

Are there changes I should make to my driving style to improve this? I tend to coast a lot and I'm not much of a speed demon.

I'm also wondering if this might indicate something wrong. I'm guessing people will advise me to take it in, which I will do, but I'll feel more confident doing that if I have a little information beforehand!
I think your battery pack has about had it. My Prius 2005, went over 300k, before any repair to hybrid battery which I did. The Prius should be getting 40-45 mpg with AC running and 50+ mpg in normal circumstances. When the capacity for just one module begins to get low, your 4 cylinder will run more with no assist from the hybrid battery because it is trying to recharge. Your pack is only as good as it's weakest module. When it is charged a little, it assists the engine but having no real capacity its assist is short lived and you're back to just the 4 cylinder engine supplying the drive. You should actually see the charge level on dash screen go up slowly and down quickly when capacity is low. Soon, the car will determine too low and the infamous "red triangle of death" will come on. In short, the car runs because none of the cells within the modules have failed but they are weak. I do a complete replacement of modules (28) for $1400 in Hawaii. You should be able to find someone to do the same in the $1100 to $1300 range on mainland so start shopping around and look at ratings. Dealerships will just want to replace the whole hybrid battery for $5500 or so. Another thing to look at is the cooling fan. Needs cleaning yearly but most don't do at all in the life of the car. These batteries do not like to be overheated.

As far as oil, check regularly if burning. Use 5w30 as recommended by manufacturer. As Easy Rider said, an option to use oil for "High Mileage" vehicles can help but not to the degree you would be hoping for. I'm assuming you meant mpg and not mph as your original post states. If by chance you did mean mph, then yes, you definitely have issues with the car. The Prius should be peppy and handle 70+mph with no problems. Aloha from Hawaii!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think your battery pack has about had it. My Prius 2005, went over 300k, before any repair to hybrid battery which I did. The Prius should be getting 40-45 mpg with AC running and 50+ mpg in normal circumstances. When the capacity for just one module begins to get low, your 4 cylinder will run more with no assist from the hybrid battery because it is trying to recharge. Your pack is only as good as it's weakest module. When it is charged a little, it assists the engine but having no real capacity its assist is short lived and you're back to just the 4 cylinder engine supplying the drive. You should actually see the charge level on dash screen go up slowly and down quickly when capacity is low. Soon, the car will determine too low and the infamous "red triangle of death" will come on. In short, the car runs because none of the cells within the modules have failed but they are weak. I do a complete replacement of modules (28) for $1400 in Hawaii. You should be able to find someone to do the same in the $1100 to $1300 range on mainland so start shopping around and look at ratings. Dealerships will just want to replace the whole hybrid battery for $5500 or so. Another thing to look at is the cooling fan. Needs cleaning yearly but most don't do at all in the life of the car. These batteries do not like to be overheated.

As far as oil, check regularly if burning. Use 5w30 as recommended by manufacturer. As Easy Rider said, an option to use oil for "High Mileage" vehicles can help but not to the degree you would be hoping for. I'm assuming you meant mpg and not mph as your original post states. If by chance you did mean mph, then yes, you definitely have issues with the car. The Prius should be peppy and handle 70+mph with no problems. Aloha from Hawaii!
Thank you so much for this thoughtful response! So far it seems like the charge level consistently hovers around 6 and 7, usually starting a drive at 6 bars and moving up to 7 by the end. I'll look into cleaning the cooling fan, hopefully that will help the cause.

You're absolutely right that I might mpg not mph - just edited that in the original post. It's been very peppy and had no difficulty reaching high speeds on the highway!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts