Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to new wheels 17 or 18. Any suggestions? I want it to look good and get better gas mileage worse gas mileage is not a option. I've been seeing wheels that weigh more than the factory wheels but with less tire not sure if it would weigh less with the tire. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
656 Posts
The odds are HUGE that changing wheels/tires will have NO positive effect on your gas mileage.
Larger wheels with low profile sidewalls usually are softer and have a higher rolling resistance.

And the onboard MPG numbers might be "off" because of a slight difference it tire size.

SO.....if you are really into a "look", then go for it but new wheels AND tires likely will cost you a LOT of $$$.
If worse fuel efficiency is not an option......then I think you should forget it and use your money for something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The odds are HUGE that changing wheels/tires will have NO positive effect on your gas mileage.
Larger wheels with low profile sidewalls usually are softer and have a higher rolling resistance.

And the onboard MPG numbers might be "off" because of a slight difference it tire size.

SO.....if you are really into a "look", then go for it but new wheels AND tires likely will cost you a LOT of $$$.
If worse fuel efficiency is not an option......then I think you should forget it and use your money for something else.
I don't want to change the width or tire diameter. If the wheel and tire combo is actually lighter than factory it should give better gas mileage. Maybe I'm wrong?Just need help finding the right combo.

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
656 Posts
I don't want to change the width or tire diameter.
Well it ain't gonna happen.
Going from a 16 to an 18, for instance, SOMETHING will end up being different.
Not much maybe but some.
And consider that if the weight is much different, the new rims probably won't be as strong either.

While your theory is likely right, in practice it ABSOLUTELY will not be enough different to be worth $1000 or more for new tires and wheels.
And like I said before, the new tire characteristics might cause the MPG to be worse and the overall change might actually be the opposite of what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
Gen II 2009 Prius, Base model with Keyless entry and JBL sound system
2 Posts
Going from 16 inch to 17 or 18 will probably mean that the same tire width won't be available for the wheel new dimension

So you will have to enlarge the width, hence putting more rolling resistance on you car, hence worst gas milage

And like Easy Rider wrote, that move will upset your wallet twice, once for the purchase of those nice ($1000) and shinny wheell and worst gas milage

Not worth the trouble imho

LOP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts