Toyota Prius Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so our 2009 prius has 177,000+ miles and is starting to give us problems. Silly stuff but repairs are stating to become an issue. Error codes (P1116, P1121) suggest the hot water system is in need of help and a funny thing with the dreaded triangle of death. Car allowed the battery to drop to dangerous levels and trigger the triangle meaning problem with charging system. Then the other day the car lost all dashboard instrument lights and would not turn off using the stop button. Toyota said it was the computer circuit for the instrument cluster and had issued a recall to get it fixed but that repair was no longer available. Wife refuses to drive car and today we went to toyotadealership and would not leave until we bought a new prius. Expensive day!!!

So, here is my thought. I bought one of those computer OBDC II things that are blue tooth and using an app loaded a scanner that said the battery in the 2009 was great. All sections were good and even the resistance between cells werelow and very close to each other.

Now, has anyone ever heard of using the battery for off grid applications? Anyone know the specs on this battery? Any thoughts?

thanks

Walt

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, so our 2009 prius has 177,000+ miles and is starting to give us problems. Silly stuff but repairs are stating to become an issue. Error codes (P1116, P1121) suggest the hot water system is in need of help and a funny thing with the dreaded triangle of death. Car allowed the battery to drop to dangerous levels and trigger the triangle meaning problem with charging system. Then the other day the car lost all dashboard instrument lights and would not turn off using the stop button. Toyota said it was the computer circuit for the instrument cluster and had issued a recall to get it fixed but that repair was no longer available. Wife refuses to drive car and today we went to toyotadealership and would not leave until we bought a new prius. Expensive day!!!

So, here is my thought. I bought one of those computer OBDC II things that are blue tooth and using an app loaded a scanner that said the battery in the 2009 was great. All sections were good and even the resistance between cells werelow and very close to each other.

Now, has anyone ever heard of using the battery for off grid applications? Anyone know the specs on this battery? Any thoughts?

thanks

Walt

Hmm, never head of off-grid applications - im scared i would mess up and ruin the battery. Anyone got any ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts