Toyota Prius Forums banner

Is the engine blown?!? plz help if u can

7K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeremy Cook 
#1 ·
I just YESTERDAY bought a 2012 PriusV w/135,000 miles on it.
My brother was driving it this morning and reports the following:
*notice smoke or stream in rear view mirror as I pulled away from home to get Kathy and head to dinner.
*coolant temp warning light came on in Decker (15 min later) then went off after 30 seconds
*leaving Kathy's, car was very lethargic
*hybrid system warning light came on.
*car died- I pulled into neighbors drive (.04 miles traveled)
*restarted and backed out go back to Kathy's - stopped because of much vibration- car died again.
*restarted, check engine light came on on our way back to Kathy's (.04 miles)
*owners manual says "take to dealer"
I had him check coolant & oil just now & he reports coolant overflow is not empty: dirty oil with particulates. He reports that "electric motor system" warning light is on.
I would SO SO appreciate any help/advise as it is holiday weekend - all shops closed til Tuesday & we are 1 hour from any Toyota Dealership anyway.
---angela

See less See more
#3 ·
engine blown?

Thanks for the reply, Easyrider. I think I was in denial. Yes clearly, it is blown. It is parked until i can get it towed on Tuesday.:|
Got it from a dealer that I been buying from for years - so I am pretty sure they will make it right with me. I am really just baffled how it happened. Seems like there'd been some oil low warning lights before it just blew. Gonna deal w/it on Tuesday & will let you know how it comes out. --angela

#4 ·
The mechanic that I took it to was not a toyota dealer (nearest one 75 miles away), but they did provide an initial diagnosis of "internal engine damage", possibly blown head gasket at least. They recommended getting it to a certifed toyota shop. When I called the dealership that I bought it from, the owner said they'd just cancel the deal & return my money. So a bittersweet ending. I don't have the Prius, but I got my money back and the dealer handled all towing expenses.
I am still just puzzled as to how it happened. Dealer had just cheaked all the fluids, my brother checked them before he left, it was only driven about 150 miles from time Igot it til it blew. Lesson learned, will always have used toyota hybrids checked at a dealership before purchasing.

#6 ·
re: my post about my blown up PriusV that began on 5/27/17. (purchased May 2017 for $9729 w/135k miles)
I am back after a mere 7 months to report that NOW it is definitely blown.
NEED ADVICE ABOUT WHAT TO DO WITH A BLOWN UP 2012 PRIUS V w/145,000 miles.

Here is how it went: I called my guy at the car lot where I bought it (this is the 4th or 5th car I have purchased from them) and he said no worries, they'd go get it and refund my $$. Too bad it did not get left at that. He called a few days later, advised me that it just needed a new head gasket and that it was now fixed up like new and would I reconsider the refund and just keep it. Because we needed the car (it is used at a social service agency where we work with abused & neglected kids & their families) and it seemed easier than finding a replacement, I agreed to keep it. Recently it died while one of our social workers was driving it - same symptoms as in May (suddenly starts smoking/dying/warnings lights on). Towed to dealer who reports that there is coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant, many internal compression leaks, etc. and only solution is new motor - cost of used one w/99k w/install is $5000.

My brother says to call Toyota corporate and seek help since this just should not have happened. Should I?
I am thinking that I just need to get rid of it (don't wanna pour and more $$ into it) - so what is the best way to do that for maximum price?
Best I found so far is $2880 from "junk my car".
Any advice is appreciated! --angela

#7 ·
I agreed to keep it.
That was NOT a wise decision.
Please do not make another mistake.
Cut your losses.

Do I understand it right that it ran OK for about 8 months ??
If so, not a total loss.

And NO it would be a waste of time to try and get Toyota involved. They typically do NOT get involved with vehicles that far out of warranty......and with that kind of history.

#8 ·
Alright. Thanks, Easy Rider. 10-4 : I will cut my losses. Gonna check w/a lot near me that sells only Prius for salvage value and then decide best way to unload it. Worst case, I know I can get the $2880 from junk my car. I will post the outcome, in case someone else has this issue & can use the info.

Yes, it ran fine for 8 months.

I was concerned if it was a problem w/Prius in general, because I also own a 2017; the Toyota mechanic assured me that this was an isolated incident, so I will keep the newer one I guess.

--angela

#9 ·
the Toyota mechanic assured me that this was an isolated incident,
Is this the same guy who supposedly "fixed" the bad head gasket the first time ??

The potential problem here is: There are some "miracle in a can" cures for things like head gasket leaks which only solves the problem for a short time. I'm not sure I would trust him in the future.

But yes, based only on reports given here, major engine failures ......like head gaskets, totally worn rings or bearings seems to be a very rare thing......until the car has VERY high miles (like 200K plus) or has been abused.

#10 ·
No, not the same guy who originally "fixed" it back in May - it was the certified Toyota shop mechanic who advised that this is not a common Prius issue.

The guys who "fixed" the bad head gasket before were the guys from the lot I bought it from. Interesting you explain about the miracle fixer / sealant, because that is exactly what they offered to do when I told them what had happened this time - now I see that must be what they meant by offering to "run some sealer through it" if I bring it to them. Uggh.

In my family we have probably purchased 50+ toyotas through the years - since the early 80's - and there are a bunch of us. So, I will chalk this up to an anomaly and keep on relying on Toyota.

thx 4 all your advice.

--angela

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.