Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys, but my Prius burns as much oil as it does gasoline (it's a joke; or is it?). That has to be why it gets such good mileage. I put a quart of oil in every fourth fill up. Any else burn that much? I know it's burning it too, cause I got a misfire code a few months ago and when I replaced the plugs and coils the plugs were caked in oil.

· Super Moderator
'17 C 4
755 Posts
You didn't say how old your car IS......or how many miles it has on it BUT:
Old, high mileage engines burn some oil.
Some more than others.
With a few model years of the Prius, the rings wore faster than what most people would consider "normal".

So, yes, a lot of owners of the older models experience "excessive" oil usage.
You might try changing to a "high mileage" oil on your next change but it seems like I remember that most Prius owners find that helps only a little bit. It will be a higher viscosity than the original recommendation.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an 08 with 236000. I'm aware of the excessive usage and I switched to high mileage when I bought it. I'm really not surprised that it burns oil considering I spend most of my time on interstate and climbing mountains so the engine tends to run at higher RPM. This post was more of a joke for those that would appreciate the issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts