Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as I was just asking in a previous thread about your favorite brand of oil. I got really curious about oil additives. Have you ever used it? Do you like it? Does it actually make a difference? So many questions......lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used it before.....made my oil too thin. I started hearing a knock in my engine so I did an oil change with fresh oil and the knock went away. Never gonna use it again. Not worth the risk of damaging your motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree. The better and more expensive the oil and the vehicle, the more important it is to leave the oil alone! I should know, I've ruined engines in a Mercedes and in a Toyota many years ago by using something called TufOil with Teflon. The characteristic of one aspect of the oil could be enhanced but it happens at the expense of other valuable oil characteristics. If you use conventional oil or don't plan to keep the vehicle, have a blast. Again, using a combination of the best oil and the best filters are the keys to a long-life vehicle. Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
581 Posts
Since someone else revived the thread............

I will add a little bit. IF the product you intend to use comes out of the bottle looking pretty much like the consistency of water OR the instructions say that it is intended to be used in the gas too for a variety of purposes, then do NOT put it in your oil. It likely is made of solvents and will do nothing good in the crankcase. Right at the top of that list is SeaFoam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seeing as I was just asking in a previous thread about your favorite brand of oil. I got really curious about oil additives. Have you ever used it? Do you like it? Does it actually make a difference? So many questions......lol
i’ve owned Toyotas for many years but just purchased my first Prius . Much to my surprise when opening my phone I saw a article about these cars using a lot of oil at some point. It was an advertisement for a three-step process of product to use when changing your oil. Is it just a bunch of bull Or is there some truth to it? kThis is slightly out of context but it does apply to oil.

·
Super Moderator
581 Posts
Please note that those horror stories about excessive oil consumption only apply to certain engines of a certain vintage and with a LOT of miles or years on them.
In many cases, the quality of the routine maintenance isn't too good or is unknown.

The product that you saw hyped is TOTALLY unnecessary in most all cases........and might actually do more harm than good.

Do a bit more searching to which models and which engines are having the problem.
If you don't have one of them, don't worry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts