Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my second catalytic converter cut on and taken from my 2009 toyota prius in my driveway here in San Leandro ,ca. Does anyone know if I put in a aftermarket catalytic converter in will it pass smog in California.
The new catalytic converters from the dealer are almost 2,000 and another 200 to put on.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
Does anyone know if I put in a aftermarket catalytic converter in will it pass smog in California.
Yes. The answer is NO. It must be OEM.
Hard lesson.
You need to do something different or this will just keep happening.
Have you made Police reports ? Insurance claims ??
Have you asked your neighbors if any of them have doorbell cameras or security cameras that might have a record of the theft ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know your pain too well and last Friday (FEB 19TH 2021) I actually caught someone stealing my catalytic converter . I watched helplessly from my window on the third floor as I yelled for him too stop and he did stop along with lowering the jack that was holding my car up and ran away with my part. It was the second time it happened and with two different cars. However while he was running away my neighbor was pulling into our parking lot noticed that he had a jack and a car part in his hands jumped out of his vehicle with his stun gun zapped him and stopped him. I got my catalytic converter back and had the guy arrested. I went to my mechanic the next day and he reattached it . I have ordered a shield and am anxiously awaiting for its arrival to install it I live in Los Angeles and they are found no where locally and must be ordered you would think any auto parts store would carry them but they do not. Until it comes and I am able to secure my car every noise I hear outside my window I run to check if someone again is trying to steal it again. It is a nightmare for me until I get it resolved. I have insurance and its covered but my deductible is 500.00 and do not really want to pay out this money every time someone wants to make a quick 200.00 and steal a catalytic converter. You would think in a state where we pay the highest state sales and income taxes and police patrols being reduced over racial issues that the state would come with a solution on helping Prius owners with this very expensive problem. The environment is very important to me but so is keeping a job and that is what I use my car for. When the first time this happened believe it or not there are people who are selling OEM used working converters on Ebay , Offerup and Craigslist. You just have to find a mechanic that will install it for you if buy one. I have one here in Los Angeles and he understands the problem and installs them without hesitation. I wish you the best of luck and should you need any info on my mechanic let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts