Toyota Prius Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got in my car yesterday and dashboard lights came on but blinked and flashed. Car wouldn't start. I installed a new 12 volt battery but no luck. Nothing works. No horn. No music. No lights. Nothing. But when I hook up jumper cables to another car, it starts, engine runs, shifting in Drive or Reverse works.

Does this mean my Hybrid battery is still good but my 12 volt battery still may be faulty?

Pulling hair out. Looking for answers.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Does this mean my Hybrid battery is still good but my 12 volt battery still may be faulty?
Yes. "new" batteries often come about half dead on purpose.
It also could be defective.

OR you could have a bad connection on one of the main battery cables.
Where exactly are you connecting the jumper cables on the "dead" car ?
If you are using the "jump points", a bad connection becomes more likely.

A multi-meter would be very helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. "new" batteries often come about half dead on purpose.
It also could be defective.

OR you could have a bad connection on one of the main battery cables.
Where exactly are you connecting the jumper cables on the "dead" car ?
If you are using the "jump points", a bad connection becomes more likely.

A multi-meter would be very helpful.
Thank you for the response, Easy Rider.

I'm not connecting the jumper cables directly to the12 v battery in the trunk. I'm connecting them to the engine points under the front hood (if that's called the "jump points"). When you say "a bad connection becomes more likely, are you talking about the cable connections to the battery?

Should I try to jump the car connecting the jumper cables directly to the battery? If it doesn't work, what would that mean?
Thanks for your help on this.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
I'm connecting them to the engine points under the front hood (if that's called the "jump points"). When you say "a bad connection becomes more likely, are you talking about the cable connections to the battery?
YES. Or the connection at the OTHER end of the main cables that lead to the battery.

I believe the positive (red) one probably goes directly to the positive jump point......or very near to it.

The negative (black) one is bolted to the body or frame somewhere near to the battery.
That is the connection that most often causes the problem.

Since you already removed and re-attached the connections AT the battery itself, it is not likely the problem is there.
But not impossible if substantial corrosion is present or if the connection bolt is damaged so it doesn't really get tight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YES. Or the connection at the OTHER end of the main cables that lead to the battery.

I believe the positive (red) one probably goes directly to the positive jump point......or very near to it.

The negative (black) one is bolted to the body or frame somewhere near to the battery.
That is the connection that most often causes the problem.

Since you already removed and re-attached the connections AT the battery itself, it is not likely the problem is there.
But not impossible if substantial corrosion is present or if the connection bolt is damaged so it doesn't really get tight.
I didn't see a lot of corrosion on the battery posts or cables and I tightened them real tight.
I got a multimeter and tested my Prius battery (00.59)v and the battery in my wife's Prius (12.29v). I tested the battery on my car (the one that won't start) directly to the battery posts, not at the "jump points" (under the front hood). Wouldn't that mean the new battery I bought was bad?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't see a lot of corrosion on the battery posts or cables and I tightened them real tight.
I got a multimeter and tested my Prius battery (00.59)v and the battery in my wife's Prius (12.29v). I tested the battery on my car (the one that won't start) directly to the battery posts, not at the "jump points" (under the front hood). Wouldn't that mean the new battery I bought was bad?
UPDATE: I had another new battery installed and this one worked. The Prius is drivable but now the following message shows up on my dash display: CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM. STOP THE VEHICLE IN A SAFE PLACE. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I had another new battery installed and this one worked. The Prius is drivable but now the following message shows up on my dash display: CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM. STOP THE VEHICLE IN A SAFE PLACE. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow.
UPDATE 2: I saw on YouTube a method to clear the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM and tried it and it worked. No more message on the dash. I just don't know if that message indicated something wrong that needs to be addressed although I thought it was coincidental that the warning message came up after I installed a new battery.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Yes your first new battery is bad......or just not charged.

Many of them come discharged on purpose.....especially the ones where you add the acid yourself.
A slow charge over 24 hours or so might bring it to life.

If there really is a problem with the hybrid part of the system the trouble indicators will be back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts