Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this site but previously owned a 2010 prius 2 until someone took the front end off the car and now they are totaling it. So after much research and eliminating many vehicles, I am right back to the Prius for a car. A prius gives me freed om to go and drive around without killing the wallet.
My only complaint of of my 2010 prius was when they put alcohol in the gas "up to 15%". When they did that my mileage went from 46.5-47mpg to about 40mpg. I used to get 575 miles per tank of gas; now I had trouble getting 40 and that was with adding Lucus fuel treatment to every fill up.
I want to avoid, this problem in my next prius and am looking to, especially owners in New Mexico, since every state may be doing the alcohol differently, but any input is better than none, especially if in your state you are having the same experiences. (I look at it this way: we paid a premium to get great gas mileage and the government stole from us without any compensation for this evil act. Yes, I am beyond pissed over this act and theft from Washington.)
Ok, so now you know how I feel. I want to avoid this theft from Washington to us in my next prius. I did look at the ioniq, but Hyundai still hasn't quite gotten there with the junk window dressing problems and horrible seats that I can't stay in for more than an hour or so.
My research found that the best ones to get are 2012-2015 but I am concerned I will be back to 40mpg. I eliminated the 2010 and 2011 models because they jumped into the 21 century with the tech toys in 2012. I drive a brand new 2018 a few years ago and did not like it. I could tell it was smaller and just didn't drive well; my 2010 prius with about 80,000 miles on it put the drive, comfort level, noise, etc...in the weeds. I also just recently drove a 2021 prius and it was nice but is also out of my price range. (Wouldn't buy a new one if I had the money; just throwing 5 grand out the window when I drive it off the lot; not a good feeling.)

Here's the big question; do the 2012-2015 prius's get the mileage they advertised (averaging 50mpg) or are they subject to the fuel tank theft too. If so, did I drive a bad 2018, or are their years in the latest version (2016-2021) to avoid and why. Does the new version get the mileage advertised and possibly in the new version, did they solved the fuel theft from the previous generation? If so, then maybe I should be looking for a 2016 and up. And the last question is; what are the better trims to go after? For example does a certain trim have unique problems so one would want to avoid that years version. Thanks in advance for the advise and help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2015 Prius with over 145k miles on it and we consistently average 47 mpg. My daily commute is 47 miles each way, on the highway, and half of this commute is very hilly. My speed in these hills is between 65 and 70 mph. On flat terrain we see over 50 mpg.

So to answer your question, I would say yes. These cars get their advertised MPG or better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts