Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Prius AWD-e and it need new pads and rotors, I went to buy new pads and rotors at an auto parts store and the sales person said that some of the Prius have electronic parking brakes in the rear and the system has to be disabled. I have a push lever parking brake under the dash so I assume it does not have the EPB system. Just wanted to confirm this

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
663 Posts
I have a 2019 Prius AWD-e and it need new pads and rotors,
I think the "salesperson" at the parts store is wrong.
First I've ever heard of that.

Just for curiosity, what makes you think you need rotors ?
Are they damaged......or do you drive a LOT of miles ??
Not normally something you need on a 4 year old hybrid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I questioned that also, but looking at the rotor surface they are quite grooved. Our prius has had some lengthy shop time( 2 six week sessions)which several mechanics stated that rotors can build up rust and cause the scoring.

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
663 Posts
I questioned that also, but looking at the rotor surface they are quite grooved.
Are those "grooves" smooth ripples or deeply scratched gouges ??
The ripples are NOT a problem. The gouges indicate that the pads were not changed soon enough.

A car has to sit out in the weather for a LONG time to have the rotor rust enough that it doesn't just scrub off during the first few stops.

Shops LOVE to sell new rotors......and calipers too because the markup is high and the job is actually a bit easier if you change EVERYTHING at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They appear to be gouges. With Covid the last few years it wasnt driven as much and not for any distances so that could be the culprit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts