Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, 2005 prius owner here.

Has anyone here attempted replacing their stolen catalytic converter themselves? Mine was stolen a few nights ago. Unfortunately I'm in a state that currently requires only the OEM replacement and Toyota (and others) are currently quoting me ~$3,000...which on a car with a supposed KBB value of $2,500 seems a bit absurd. Especially when compared to the cost of doing it yourself (<$200)

I've done a fair amount of work to the car myself, but I am in no way trained and have NEVER jacked up and worked under a vehicle. I do have a 4,000 lbs floor jack, and a buddy who has worked on and under his cars has a another good jack, jack stands, blocks, etc. as well. He has offered to help me with the process.

I've watched the best (well and essentially only) video on youtube covering this replacement (I'll throw the video at the end of this post). I really appreciate this guide, and don't have much doubt now that I could do this replacement myself. That being said, he mentions in the video that they've jacked the car up extra high to be able to shoot video. I am wondering if this replacement is doable just jacking up the front of the car. I am guessing you really don't need all that much clearance to do this replacement, given its just sitting out in the open, but would love to hear from anyone who has attempted this!

Alternatively I'm trying to find a shop that will do this for me, but given the current legality issues, I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing this...

·
Super Moderator
'17 C 4
603 Posts
Are mandatory inspections also required ?
If NOT, you should be able to find an independent shop to help you out......if you search long enough.

It might be necessary to consider driving it to a nearby state for the "fix" or to trade it in there where a non-oem cat would be legal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts