Toyota Prius Forums banner

2012 Plug-In Prius with "short" problem

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
After a session with mice in my heating system this Winter I found that I have an intermittent (unfortunately) problem. According to the dashboard light I lose these three things: regenerative braking, ABS, and traction control, all at the same time. I was plagued with this through most of our Winter, but every time I took it in to be serviced the lights would be out and I was told that they could not trace the problem, even after many hours of searching (at Toyota dealer rates). Since Spring and into Summer the lights are generally off, but do come on at seemingly random times for short times (a trip or two). I can see nothing unusual that initiates the event. Twice it was just starting the car in our garage and once it was just driving on a straight and level (and smooth) road,

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where this problem might be? What do these events have in common (and, no, the wheel sensors apparently check out okay, and a frot gearing was replaced)? None of these are major issues, but the car will not pass inspection if the lights are on.

#2 ·
The stock answer is:
For almost any "strange" electrical problem, you should check the 12 V battery.
And if it is over 4 years old, just replace it.

After that, does it really NOT have any fault codes stored after one of those incidents ?

Intermittent connections are a bear to track down. Being very close to a dealer when it happens should help.
Maybe that will happen some day.
Good luck.

#3 ·
Thanks.
No fault codes.
I'll consider the battery "solution."
I'm an hour away from a dealer that does not take drive-ins! My local mechanic is willing to "work" on it (for half the price), but he wants the lights on, of course. So far no dice.
I'm willing to live with the intermittent (it doesn't happen often now), but I am concerned about the next inspection!

#4 ·
You should be concerned that your brakes are not working right too.......or won't work right in a panic situation.

I suggest that you should NOT ignore this situation, no matter how infrequently it occurs and have a qualified Toyota shop look at it.
That might NOT be the shop that you have already visited.

Good luck.

In cases like this, I actually hope that it finally breaks altogether, so that the cause can be found and fixed.

#5 ·
I agree with the latter. The Toyota mechanic in Berlin said it would be impossible to trace/fix if the lights weren't on. My local mechanic said the same thing. BYW, my breaks work just fine, I just don't have ABS, but I didn't have ABS for nearly 50 years, so it shouldn't bother me now. No dry pavement I may do better without ABS anyway, according to the Car Talk boys. <grin>

#6 ·
The Toyota mechanic in Berlin said it would be impossible to trace/fix if the lights weren't on. My local mechanic said the same thing.
They both are morons.
It MIGHT not be possible......but it certainly is not possible if they never TRY.
There are several things that can be inspected for proper mechanical attachment and alignment and movement.

Then....you don't KNOW how your brakes will work in a panic situation if you haven't tried that lately.....while the lights are ON.

Good luck. I hope that the eventual total failure doesn't occur at a time when you really NEED the brakes to work right.

#7 ·
"It MIGHT not be possible......but it certainly is not possible if they never TRY."

At $100.hour and an estimated eight hours? Are you kidding?

"There are several things that can be inspected for proper mechanical attachment and alignment and movement."

I am convinded it is an electrical problem because of where/how the lights go on: smooth road, little bumps, hard bumps, parked in the garage.

"Then....you don't KNOW how your brakes will work in a panic situation if you haven't tried that lately.....while the lights are ON."

Living in the boonies I have occasion to make emergeny stops quite often.

"Good luck. I hope that the eventual total failure doesn't occur at a time when you really NEED the brakes to work right."

I hope it occurs when I am in the shop for routine maintenance.

#8 ·
"It MIGHT not be possible......but it certainly is not possible if they never TRY."

At $100.hour and an estimated eight hours? Are you kidding?

"There are several things that can be inspected for proper mechanical attachment and alignment and movement."

I am convinded it is an electrical problem because of where/how the lights go on: smooth road, little bumps, hard bumps, parked in the garage.
Like I said, they are morons.
Should take a competent, experienced mechanic no more than two hours to inspect the entire brake system, INCLUDING all the electrical sensors and connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.