Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and need a bit of help with my Prius. The other day I bought a 2006 Prius for pretty cheap. I know it might have been a bad buy for my first Prius buy I didn't want to pass on it because it ran very smoothly and has reasonable miles on it. It would only start when it was jump started from the front jump point. I thought it might be a dead battery because the car got absolutely no power with the old battery (no dashboard lights, key fob wasn't unlocking the car, absolutely no electronics would do anything). But when I jumped it from the front of the car it started up without a problem and I drove it to get a new battery for the back and it just randomly turned off on me. I got a new battery for it and it still won't start and nothing turns on. I had it jumped again and drove it home but every time I turn it off it will only start if it's jump started. Is there anything out there that can tell me why it won't start and stay on? The MFD is showing that the engine is running like it should. The green arrow show that the engine is charging the electronic motor and that is charging the hybrid battery cells. The hybrid battery cell gauge showes that it's being charged and maintains a charge and has almost full blue bars. I was thinking that it might be a short somewhere between the 12v battery and whatever turns on the power to the car. It also isn't showing any codes on an ODB2. If anyone has any idea what is actually going on with the car, I would greatly appreciate the information. Thanks and have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
I was thinking that it might be a short somewhere between the 12v battery and whatever turns on the power to the car.
Actually it is more likely to be an OPEN between the battery and the "jump point".
The most common location for a problem like that is the OTHER end of the negative cable where it connects to the frame or body.
Having a multi-meter would be helpful.

P.S. I have deleted the other duplicate post that you made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it is more likely to be an OPEN between the battery and the "jump point".
The most common location for a problem like that is the OTHER end of the negative cable where it connects to the frame or body.
Having a multi-meter would be helpful.

P.S. I have deleted the other duplicate post that you made.
Thanks for deleting the duplicate post.
The negative/ground cable that comes directly out of the battery was in the right place and was tight. I'll have to get a multi-meter for sure. It's just mind boggling because if I jump it from under the hood it starts right up. Once you turn it off, it has to be jumped again. I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a problem like this and could point me in the right direction. I'm also definitely going to check and change any bad fuses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for deleting the duplicate post.
The negative/ground cable that comes directly out of the battery was in the right place and was tight. I'll have to get a multi-meter for sure. It's just mind boggling because if I jump it from under the hood it starts right up. Once you turn it off, it has to be jumped again. I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with a problem like this and could point me in the right direction. I'm also definitely going to check and change any bad fuses.
...I just hope that it's nothing major to fix.

·
Super Moderator
571 Posts
This should be fairly simple......with a meter.
It is even possible that your new battery is also bad or not charged up.

One LARGE positive cable goes from the battery to the positive jump point, through a large fusible link, I think.
The negative battery goes to the frame thorough the other large cable.
Then the actual electronics of the engine also is "grounded" to the frame to complete the circuit.

I just realized that I don't remember seeing any discussion of where that "engine negative connection" actually IS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts