Toyota Prius Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just got a 2005 and had to replace the electric and 12v batteries. Car still won't start. Has a slight whirring sound and then stops. Only light that comes on is the one of a car with a key in it light (whatever that is). Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
First, be sure that your new 12 V battery is fully charged.
Then.......assuming that you mean the HV hybrid battery also was changed, who DID that ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, be sure that your new 12 V battery is fully charged.
Then.......assuming that you mean the HV hybrid battery also was changed, who DID that ?
"Hybrid Battery 911" is who changed the batteries. He was able to turn it on after he changed it and then when he took the key out, it won't turn back on now.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
"Hybrid Battery 911" is who changed the batteries. He was able to turn it on after he changed it and then when he took the key out, it won't turn back on now.
Well then HE needs to do whatever it takes to find out what the remaining problem IS.
That might involve having it towed to a Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the vehicle have Smart Access? The light is the anti-theft system. It sounds like the car is not recognizing the key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the anti-theft system is not recognizing any keys you have there are 2 procedures for resetting the key/keys one for Smart Access on one for vehicles without. They both require a capable diagnostic scanner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I think I'm just going to sell it to a cash for cars place or something. It stopped an hour from my home and has been stuck there awhile. I don't have the time or money to deal with it.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
Thanks. I think I'm just going to sell it to a cash for cars place or something. It stopped an hour from my home and has been stuck there awhile. I don't have the time or money to deal with it.
Wait......WHAT ??
If you paid for a new battery, you are going to LOSE money on this deal, more than likely.
Can you afford to do THAT ??

I get the feeling that something is missing in this story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing missing really. I'll lose $500 but the vehicle was given to me free. I paid $1500 for a new 12v and electric battery and it won't start. It's become more of a headache than anything. The cash for cars place I went through is going to give me $1000 for it. I don't want to keep paying for insurance on it since it's not going anywhere and I don't want to put more money into it.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
OK, sounds fairly reasonable.
What does the shop who replaced the batteries for you say about all of this ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, sounds fairly reasonable.
What does the shop who replaced the batteries for you say about all of this ??
Nothing. It started for them. So once he took the key out, that's when it didn't start. Has nothing to do with them anymore. It wasn't a shop per say and they drove 5.5 hrs to come put it in anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts