Driver side manufacturers headlight wiring problem - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Driver side manufacturers headlight wiring problem

Just found out about the ongoing prob on the 2011 prius with the driver side headlight wiring prematurely blowing the bulb. I am on my 4th set since the orig. ones blew.
I decided to try some LED's since I was hearing the higher voltage requirement for the aftermarket bulbs such as the best that Sylvania makes (SilverStar Ultra'[email protected]$51.00 a pop!) was the reason they were only lasting me 6-9mths! (and was not that impressive on light output anyway)
I forget exactly but the charge was upwards of 200-300 to have this problem fixed by Toyota! (Toyota made the mistake but we have to pay for it!) This of course should have been a recall and fixed!
Anyway, I do not like the LED's I got as they are just not lighting the road up enough,PLUS when I turn them on I loose every radio station, so wanted to see if anyone else has been going thru this and might know what low watt bulb out there may light things up more than most people know about?
Also a BIG question I have is has anyone installed a HID kit on a Prius? But I am guessing that will only cause problems due to it already having a wattage problem, right?
But as for the HID's if anyone else has fixed the wiring prob, and love the amount of light they put out, I would probably go with the HID's because I have poor night vision and want to light up the road as much as I can get away with!
I read how to fix them some where on line but forgot where i seen it at the time, but not sure if i can pull it off by myself? Sounded pretty complicated. Anyone done this fix yet?
The LED's are terrible especially after I switch to the factory brights!(that I have never had to change)
When I go from the brights to the low beams, it's like I can barely see the road!

Anyway, any help at all here will be greatly appreciated. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy24 View Post
Anyway, any help at all here will be greatly appreciated. Thx!
I think most of your problem is the aftermarket bulbs that you have chosen.
The Sylvania ones have a bad reputation.

HID conversions often CAUSE more problems than they solve; sometimes big problems.

I suggest that you get the bulb number from the stock headlight bulb and do a "google" search for high output replacements. There are better options out there than the Silver Stars that you have been using......for a slightly higher price.

I know the most often recommended brand.......but have a brain cramp now and can't remember it. Sorry.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 5 Old 09-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
I think most of your problem is the aftermarket bulbs that you have chosen.
The Sylvania ones have a bad reputation.

HID conversions often CAUSE more problems than they solve; sometimes big problems.

I suggest that you get the bulb number from the stock headlight bulb and do a "google" search for high output replacements. There are better options out there than the Silver Stars that you have been using......for a slightly higher price.

I know the most often recommended brand.......but have a brain cramp now and can't remember it. Sorry.
Hey Easy Rider,

Just wanted to ask if you had an update on the most recommended brand?

I'm asking because headlight problems are an issue I've had in the past, and I remember someone highly recommending the Sylvania ones, but I wasn't too impressed when I tested them out myself.

I simply wanted to find out more about better recommendations for future purposes, thanks!

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFulton View Post
Just wanted to ask if you had an update on the most recommended brand?
Try this:
PIAA Corporation | LED Lights | Halogen Bulbs | Wipers | Driving Lights | Fog Lights | Headlight Bulbs

AND then, do a google search for piaa headlight bulbs.

Don't take the word of ANY single individual recommendation without doing some of your own research.

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 5 Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Don't take the word of ANY single individual recommendation without doing some of your own research.
That is some great general advice, but I think if you could get a bunch of reviews from people on the forum that could also work.

People that have been using them and are recommending them is what it is going to come down to, as each article or video (or however you get your information) is going to be the opinion of several individuals, essentially.

I think what you are doing is your own research. Just remember to learn and corroborate what you have learned.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page