MotherProof.comís three-part series on the Prius V - Prius VS Prius V - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default MotherProof.comís three-part series on the Prius V - Prius VS Prius V

motherproof did a three-part series "review" on the new Prius V focusing the review around families. So if you are thinking about getting the Prius V to haul your family around. This might be a good read for you since it covers all the questions you probably have.

Toyota Prius vs. Prius V: Is the Prius V Worth the Higher Cost?

As a 2008 Toyota Prius owner who longs for more space but doesnít want rising fuel costs to compromise my budget, the all-new 2012 Prius V appears to be the perfect solution. With a starting MSRP of $26,400, excluding the $760 delivery charge, the Prius V costs nearly $3,000 more than its smaller sibling, the Prius. I crunched the numbers to see if jumping to the bigger Prius V was a good move for my family.

It should be noted that my family of four fell in love with all the Prius V offers. It feels like a stretched version of our current Prius, with a fuel economy that was barely compromised. During my familyís road trip from Los Angeles to Phoenix and back, I averaged 35.5 mpg in the V. My 2008 Prius averages 40 mpg in combined driving.

If I were in the market for a new Prius, the nearly $3,000 premium for the Prius V over the 2011 Prius, which starts at $23,520, would be difficult to swallow. While the added upfront cost would hurt, my familyís monthly gas budget would barely be affected by the upgrade to a larger hybrid. My husband and I drive an average of 2,000 miles a month in our Prius (itís our only car). With gas at $4.00 a gallon in my area, we spend about $200 on the 50 gallons of gas we use each month. With the V, if we drive an average of 2,000 miles a month and get 35.5 mpg, weíd use 56.3 gallons of gas a month. At $4.00 a gallon, weíd spend $225 a month on gas.

While the added cost might not be worth it to everyone in the market for a Prius, at this stage in my life with two young daughters, Iíd be willing to make the switch.

Toyota Prius vs. Prius V: Larger Cargo Area Makes for Road-Trip Bliss

The 2012 Prius V is Toyotaís newest addition to the Prius family. Its stand-out features are a larger cargo area and a reclining second row. Be still, my child-safety-seat-installing heart. Boasting 34.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second-row seats, Toyota claims the Prius V has more space than 80 percent of the small SUVs on the market. Pair that with its estimated 42 mpg city/highway combined and the Prius V is a wagon to be reckoned with.

While my husband and I current own a 2008 Prius, itís primarily in pursuit to save green rather than to ďgo green.Ē With two little girls in car seats, I often find myself daydreaming of a spacious second and even third row that a large SUV or minivan offers. But with high gas prices, I just scoot my seat forward to accommodate the child seat behind it and breathe a sigh of relief as I drive by the gas station selling gas at $4.00 a gallon.

Road trips are a completely different monster. With every inch of our Priusí cargo and legroom taken up with the kidsí gear and luggage, a couple hours on the road seems like a couple of days. The cargo space in our beloved Prius is simply not enough for a comfortable road trip.

My automotive dreams came true recently. Not only did I get to test-drive the all-new Prius V, but also I was able to take it on our familyís semi-annual road trip to Arizona.

The Prius Vís cargo area (photo above) lives up to Toyotaís claims. My husband had almost finished loading our luggage and the kidsí gear into our new ride when I panicked because Iíd forgotten our jogging double-stroller. This would have been a disaster with our 2008 Prius (photo below), requiring us to reconfigure the luggage to fit the stroller.

In the Prius V, it was no problem. We still had plenty of room in the cargo area to fit the stroller after loading it with three suitcases, three backpacks, a diaper bag and a portable crib.

Not only did the new Prius V swallow our luggage, but also our line of sight out the rear window wasnít impeded by the usual tower oí luggage. It was an automotive miracle, I tell you. Our Prius can barely fit the stroller, let alone luggage for a family of four.

Room to stretch your legs because everything is in the cargo area is the beginning of road-trip bliss.

Toyota Prius vs. Prius V: Prius Vís Lower MPGs OK With Family

When Toyota announced it was designing a more-spacious Prius, I jumped for joy because my 2008 Toyota Prius has been pushed to its limits by my family of four. Could they really design a family-friendly Prius without compromising the hybridís high fuel-economy numbers? After my familyís road trip to Arizona, the verdict is in: Toyota can and did.

The 2012 Prius V gets an EPA-estimated 44/40/42 mpg city/highway/combined. Some may have been disappointed by the Prius Vís fuel-economy numbers when compared to the Priusí EPA-estimated 51/48/50 mpg, but as a 2008 Prius owner who regularly averages 40 mpg city/highway combined, the Prius Vís numbers were high enough for me.

For our road trip, which was mostly highway driving, we averaged 35.5 mpg in the Prius V. On our trip, we intermittently used the Power mode, which made passing cars and climbing mountains easy as pie. Otherwise, we kept the Prius V in Eco mode, which makes the car drive more efficiently, while traveling from Los Angeles to Phoenix and back. The Prius V also has normal and EV driving modes.

The Prius V made our stops at gas stations infrequent and relatively painless. Well, except for one: Iím no mathematician, but with a fuel-tank capacity of 11.9 gallons and an estimated 40 mpg highway, I thought we could make it from Los Angeles to Phoenix on one tank of gas. It turns out you canít.

As my husband and I happily cruised through the desert at 11 p.m. with our two angels sleeping in the backseat, the idiot light, I mean, low-fuel light came on. Past experience in my í08 Prius has taught me that I have at least 20 miles to find a gas station when the low-fuel light comes on. Wrong again. According to the Prius Vís range indicator, we had less than 10 miles until empty. My stomach sank as I looked out and saw nothing but desert. And then a monsoon hit. I wish I were joking.

With intense rain and wind slamming into the car, I looked at my husband and told him this is how the narration on the television show ďI SurvivedĒ begins. He calmly said ďItís OK. If we actually run out of gas, weíll just call AAA.Ē I regretfully informed him that I hadnít renewed the membership. Yep, Iím waiting for that Responsible Parent of the Year Award to arrive in the mail any day now. Thankfully, the gas gauge was slightly faulty or an alarmist. We sailed on fumes for at least 20 miles and made it to a glorious gas station.

Despite almost spending the night on the side of the road, my husband and I were both amazed by the Prius Vís fuel efficiency. However, we played it on the safe side and refueled before we reached a quarter of a tank during the rest of the trip (like the responsible parents that we are).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page