Dead HV Battery? Easy checks before towing to shop? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-11-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Dead HV Battery? Easy checks before towing to shop?

I own a 09 Prius, about 90K miles.

Traction battery has shown some signs of weakening (gas engine seemed to run more recently, etc, although mileage has generally been ok) as of late. Also, the 12v battery has been troublesome, requiring some jumping.

All has been well, however, this weekend things seemed to go bad fast.

First, due to Covid, car sat for about a week. I went out on Saturday to run an errand and it needed a jump.
Jumped it and drove away. Made it about 1/3 mile before it died. Red triangle / VSC / ABS, etc.

OK, I figured that the 12v battery might have bricked completely and could be causing the issue so I walked over to Pep Boys and got a new one and installed it (which was a FAR more painful process than it had to be). Same thing. Drive a few blocks, dies. Wait a few minutes, start, drive a few blocks, dies, warning lights, etc. Traction battery has maybe 1 bar.

Before I tow this over to a dealer or independent Prius shop, where I figure they are gonna tell me "yeah you need a new main battery" [at which point I start the painful process of deciding between Green Bean or new car entirely and so on], is there anything else I should try? I've seen talk of blown fuzes and so on after jump starts... anything like that I should look into first? Relays? Etc?

No, I don't have a code reader unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-12-2020, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Same answer as in the other forum.
Be absolutely sure that your new battery is FULLY charged and not defective first.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page