DTC P0A9C - How to Diagnose Issue? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2020, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default DTC P0A9C - How to Diagnose Issue?

Hi everyone,

I have a '06 Prius with about 150k miles that I have owned for 6 yrs. I now have the red triangle with an exclamation point showing on my combo meter, my car has trouble accelerating at times, and when the car has trouble accelerating the HV battery fan turns on full blast. I read these symptoms could indicate a dying battery, but I did just replace both batteries 3 yrs ago. I am pulling the DTC P0A9C using an obd II by BAFX. I read that this DTC indicates a damaged or obstructed hybrid battery temperature sensor, but I am not too sure and hoped you guys could provide some troubleshoot/diagnosis recommendations. My temps sensors are reading as follows: HV Battery Temp 1 - 52.16F; Temp 2 - 51.17F; Temp 3 - 51.656F. Thus, no divergent temps like some others have had.

I am a college student new to working on my car to save money, but I did successfully change the instrument cluster a few months back so I'm hoping I can DIY fix this. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

IF.....the replacement HV battery was a "rebuild", 3 years might be a reasonably expected life if they did not use all new cells.

I suggest that you contact the company that sold you the HV battery last time......if they are still in business......and let them test it.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I believe the HV battery was a rebuild, so I will try to find my receipt and contact the company. Thanks for the tip!

post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Update: Found my receipt and it was my local Toyota dealership that replaced it. I'm going to reach out and see if there's any warranty, especially b/c this new HV + auxiliary battery only have 20k miles on them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page