Toyota Prius Forums banner

08 Gen 2 AC problems

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 that is having AC issues. The car has 219000 miles on it. I have already replaced the AC relay and did a recharge, although I think it could use more of refrigerant oil. The symptoms are that the AC is very slow to come on (it can take up to 2 minutes to engage) and when it does the fan surges and then slows down. The unit is blowing cool air and it seems to be adequate. It seems to be working way too hard.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be wrong with the unit?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Could be a lot of things.
Do you intend to just keep guessing and throwing money at it ?

Sometimes paying what seems like a really high price for some work at a qualified shop ends up being cheaper than trying to do it yourself.

This also could be an early sign of the HV battery failing.
If you have not had to shell out for any major repairs yet, it might be time to trade it in before you waste a LOT of money on it.

#6 · (Edited)
How about checking the air conditioning system? If there is a leak, it must have happened before the system started working. However, you need to check all connections and insulation. It's crucial to ensure that the condenser is not clogged (although this is unlikely since the refrigerant is circulating in the system). Some sensors could be causing the problem. If you can't find anything, you should remove the dashboard and check the air conditioner in the dark. Then turn the car on and check when it is running, if there is any problem, you'll see it. Try to find a cheap aircon installation service. Of course, it'll take some time, but it's the fastest way to find the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.