HELP.....My Prius won't shift to Drive or Reverse, stays in neutral, Red Triangle on - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-01-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default HELP.....My Prius won't shift to Drive or Reverse, stays in neutral, Red Triangle on

Hello my fellow Prius owners,

First let me wish everyone happy new year, I hope everyone a year full of success and happiness.

I have an 05 Toyota Prius with 143k miles on it. two days ago I went to the store and parked the car, when I was getting ready to leave, I press start, put in reverse, nothing happened, it would not switch from neutral, the "READY" light on the display did not come on. I tried and tried numerous times with no success. I stayed in the parking lot and did some research on my phone what can be the issue, someone said to replace the 12v battery, since I was a walking distance from an O'reilleys, I went and dumped almost 200 buck on a brand new prius battery, put it in, it started. I went home, the next day it starts fine, after 10 mins of driving the red triangle comes on along with "temp low" light (no check engine light). I stopped the car and turned it off, then tried to turn it back on again and did the same problem as before.
I think the main battery is working fine as I see it recharging and recharging at a healthy rate. I am really not sure what I else to do here. I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here, pleaaaaaase help me.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Most new batteries come mostly discharged and need to be fully charged before use.
If that wasn't done before, you should do it NOW.
Then you should check the voltage at the battery while the vehicle is "running" to be sure it is being charged.

If you are unwilling or unable to do those things, you should visit a shop.
If there still is a problem with the 12 V battery system, you should be able to get it going with a jump from another vehicle or a "jump pack".

P.S. It won't "shift" because it really isn't "running". It likely is staying in Park.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page