I'll send you $20 if you teach me how to calibrate the MFD (touch screen) - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-21-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default I'll send you $20 if you teach me how to calibrate the MFD (touch screen)

I just bought a used 2007 Prius.

Its MFD (touch screen) is miscalibrated such that I need to touch 1 or 2 centimeters above what I actually want to press. For on-screen menu options shown near the top of the screen, this is obviously impossible. So I desperately need to calibrate the system.

Please watch my short Youtube video of me attempting to get to the Calibration screen. Search for "Toyota Prius 2007 easter egg System Check Mode (How to enter)" or WYqLYPGKPqo. (This forum doesn't allow me to share the link directly.)

I've tried the steps published at andrew.daviel dot org/prius/egg.html, but it didn't seem to work for me; I can get into System Check Mode but can never reach the Product Diagnosis Menu or the Calibration page.

If you have a suggestion, I'd LOVE to hear it! And I'll send $20 (digitally) to the first person whose advice gets this MFD working for me.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Welcome.
It sounds like you know what you are doing but have to ask:
Have you tried something more accurate than a finger tip to touch the screen......like a soft tip stylus ?
If a "factory reset" option is present, have you tried that yet ?
Have you considered having a dealer look at this ??

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 7 Old 12-22-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @Easy Rider. My used car dealer (who is familiar with Priuses but isn't a Toyota-only dealer) tried everything he could think of, including unplugging the car's battery. It really seems to me like there would be a solution to this calibration problem (rather than me needing to throw out the hardware and buy a replacement).

post #4 of 7 Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well first I need to say:
If you expect meaningful help on a forum, you need to respond to ALL of the questions asked.....or else people will tend to ignore you in the future.

Then: A reset of the entertainment head will NOT happen when the battery is disconnected. If it has such a thing it likely is a hidden tiny little button.....or an item on a menu somewhere.

Some systems have a way to calibrate and some don't. If the problem is caused by a component going bad, a recalibration might not help.

I am also sending you a private message.

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

To answer each of your 4 suggestions individually:

1. Have you tried something more accurate than a finger tip to touch the screen......like a soft tip stylus ?
I don't have a tiny soft tip stylus, but my fingers are tiny enough that I don't think they are the problem, especially given that I can reliably get certain menu items on the screen to work just by accounting for the distance of the calibration being "off".
2. If a "factory reset" option is present, have you tried that yet?
I'd definitely LOVE to try a "factory reset" but don't know of any (either in the software or a hardware button).
3. Have you considered having a dealer look at this ??
I have not taken it to an official Toyota dealer yet. Hopefully an inspection would be free or affordable. I'm always cautious about bringing cars to dealers.
4. A reset of the entertainment head will NOT happen when the battery is disconnected. If it has such a thing it likely is a hidden tiny little button.....or an item on a menu somewhere. Some systems have a way to calibrate and some don't. If the problem is caused by a component going bad, a recalibration might not help.
I will continue looking for a reset button and will also email people who work on these components. (I wouldn't want to try to disassemble my dashboard without knowing first that what I'm looking for even exists.)

Thanks so much for helping me think through this!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

It would be unusual for a shop to do a diagnosis free.
Information is sometimes free.
Labor hours generally aren't.

A big dealership has certainly run into this before and might know the real answer.
Or they might be blinded by $$$ and replacing the whole head is their solution.
You will never know if you don't ask.

'17 Prius C-4
post #7 of 7 Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Good points! Thanks.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page