Where Did All the Warning Lights Go? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-19-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Unhappy Where Did All the Warning Lights Go?

Hi. I have a 2007 Prius, 114,000 miles.

My car won’t do ANYTHING.

• Two days ago - Spent 30 minutes in a semi-gridlocked traffic jam yesterday when my car beeped (once) and the following warning lights came on: Master Warning Light, VSC, a yellow (!), and the Malfunction Indicator Light. I went through the Service Reminder Indicators process; lights went down to the Master and the Malfunction, but now the Hybrid System Warning Light was on. Drove to O'Reilly's - tester read POA93. The inverter coolant was on the low side but nothing else visible.

• Yesterday - Went to see how the car was looking and guess what? No warning lights whatsoever.....like this was all just a full moon thing?

• Today – Tried to start the car and ALL of the warning lights came on and stayed on until I could get the car to turn off. The gas gauge strobed all the way from one side to the other, ALL of the lights behind the RNDP panel lit up, and the backseat doors won’t open. I tried to open the back hatch with my key and got 4 short beeps (and it didn’t open). Jump starting the battery didn’t do a THING.

Events this past month include one headlight out....then two....a dead battery (reason not clear). I replaced the headlight bulbs, jumped the car....and was excited that everything was back to “normal”. Obviously, it isn’t.

Comments, anyone? I really don’t want to have to tow this car to the dealership.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGrand57 View Post
Events this past month include one headlight out....then two....a dead battery (reason not clear). I replaced the headlight bulbs, jumped the car....and was excited that everything was back to “normal”. Obviously, it isn’t.
The cause is right there staring you in the face.
Everything is NOT back to normal......because your 12V battery has failed or has a bad connection at one of the posts.

Having random strange things fail is a good sign of a failing 12V battery.

Once that is fixed, the charging voltage needs to be checked.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 4 Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Can a 12 volt battery be replaced by a "normal" person?

Now that I know a dying 12 volt battery is another definition of a poltergeist, things make a little more sense. I just spoke with my local Toyota dealer's service rep and he gave me the number for a towing service.....my "only option at this point".

Is that really true?

BTW - thank you for replying to my post.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGrand57 View Post
I just spoke with my local Toyota dealer's service rep and he gave me the number for a towing service.....my "only option at this point".

Is that really true?
No not by any means.
And the Toyota dealer is NOT the only place that you can get a new battery but it might be the best.

Connecting a small charger to the battery overnight might get you enough charge to drive it in.

Places like AutoZone sell batteries and some advertise free installation.....but call ahead to be sure. Some don't carry the right size and I think I heard that the "free install" doesn't apply to some hybrid models.

If you have a roadside service like AAA they will tow or replace your battery for you.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page