Need to buy a Prius before Dec 1st, but I need advice - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 11-14-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Need to buy a Prius before Dec 1st, but I need advice

I'm sure this advice has been posted elsewhere, forgive me for not reading through the threads on this forum.

I want to buy a used Prius before Dec 1st - we need it - and I don't know much about Prius, other than it has great mileage and good track record.

I want:
- something used, preferably under $10K
- one that doesn't plug in, just takes gas
- bigger is better, but a "regular" Prius that seats 5 and takes a child seat will be fine
- doesn't burn oil or any other common problems

I was just going to go to CarMax or get a Certified PreOwned from Toyota, but I want to know how I can avoid getting one that burns oil or has other common problem that might make it through their screening process (Carmax and CPO dealer cars). I don't mind paying a little bit of a premium over market value, and I'm fine with an older Prius with high mileage, if I can get one less likely to have problems.

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

You NEED to read the reports from owners of high mileage hybrids; the Prius specifically.

It is HIGHLY likely that there will be some significant repairs needed soon on any Prius that is old enough or with high enough mileage that the price will be below $10K.

The main hybrid battery is generally good for about 10 years or 150K miles but some fail sooner.

And why do you say you "need" a Prius specifically ??
If you are on a tight budget, that likely is not the best choice.

The little bit that you would save in fuel versus a Corolla or a Kia, just for instance, would take a LONG time to pay back two or three thousand extra cost up front.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page