Do you prefer customs parts or bolt-on parts? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Do you prefer customs parts or bolt-on parts?

With the endless amount of parts manufacturers and specialty shops that offer to make one-off parts which one do you prefer? Obviously bolt-on parts are cheaper since its mass produced. But theres also a downside that the parts might not fit perfectly or might need modification. But if you get something custom made you know it fits perfectly and works right away. But it will definitely cost a lot more. Discuss!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM

assuming i had the money for it i would definitely go with custom one off parts. sinces its made specifically for me and not for anyone elses vehicle. plus it would make it easy for me since the same shop that would make the product will most likely install it too insuring that there would be no issues.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM

I'd go with really well known brands for bolt on parts. I've never heard of any issues with really high end/expensive brands and their bolt on parts. There's usually a reason why those parts are expensive and its usually because of the amount of research and development that goes through their products.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

After doing a little research I think going with high-end bolt on parts might be the best way. Since like someone here said that you wont really have problems with high end bolt on product
post #5 of 7 Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM

I've been a mechanic for over 20 years... And let me tell you.. Stock rocks..!!
So often these high end plug and play parts don't fit right or take twice as long to install than directed... This is ok for the do it your self'r.. But not good if you are paying shop to install stuff... Me as a mechanic would always push for genuine parts over aftermarket... But .. In some cases certain are cool... I always upgrade to xenon lights for night driving... Comedic upgrades are also cool and interior upgrade will sometimes work... So I guess the real question is what do you like to upgrade the most..?
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM

personally i prefer bolt on parts i trust the companies that take the time and effort to engineer something and make it work and last for a long time!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_GAME View Post
I've been a mechanic for over 20 years... And let me tell you.. Stock rocks..!!
So often these high end plug and play parts don't fit right or take twice as long to install than directed... This is ok for the do it your self'r.. But not good if you are paying shop to install stuff... Me as a mechanic would always push for genuine parts over aftermarket... But .. In some cases certain are cool... I always upgrade to xenon lights for night driving... Comedic upgrades are also cool and interior upgrade will sometimes work... So I guess the real question is what do you like to upgrade the most..?

he knows what hes talking about.. plug and play parts work.. but never all the time..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page