Considering a Prius...Would it suit my driving style? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-20-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Considering a Prius...Would it suit my driving style?

I have been considering a Prius for some time, but never got one due to my uncertainty if its right for me or not. So I thought I would come on here and seek some expert advice. My situation: I currently have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport that gets horrible gas mileage. I never offroad so that doesn't mean anything to me. It's my only vehicle and I drive it everywhere. The best mpg I ever got out of the Jeep was 15 mpg and it is completely stock - no llft or big tires. My commute is very short - only 2 miles one way to work in the city. I usually also drive once or twice a week to the stores or mall across town which is another 5-10 miles away or so. I live in central PA where it gets cold and snowy in the winter which is the main reason I bought the Jeep, but so far, it seems like overkill for me. There are also a ton of steep hills and in my city. Not many flat level roads, however my commute to work is pretty flat. Would a Prius benefit me at all? My main concern is...Could I get to and from work in my short 2 mile commute in city streets purely on electrical power? If I put on some good winter tires, will It go through snow and ice? Jeeps hold tremendous resale value, and mine is paid off, so trading for a Prius might not break the bank all that much if making the switch is beneficial. I am also considering the Chevy Volt (more expensive) and the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Mikmac09; 10-20-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-20-2015, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

If....BIG IF....you have a convenient way to plug in to charge at home, one of the "plug-in hybrids" would seem to fit your needs the best.
A normal hybrid will NOT run purely on electric; the engine will run some whether you want it to or not.

You might consider joining the Volt forum. Owners love them.....despite what I consider an unacceptable level of all kinds of problems.
I would not have one because of reliability.

"Winter tires" are largely a waste of money and a BIG pain in the butt.

If there is such a thing, a plug-in hybrid 4-wheel (or all wheel) drive vehicle would seem to fill all your needs.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 5 Old 10-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I highly recommend Prius for its reliability and popularity (many after market parts). My wife purchased Prius v in September and we went to a gas station after 4 weeks from the day she bought the car. 42mpg is what we got!! My wife was driving Nissan Juke before and the average gas mileage was 19 to 22 mpg. She was extremely happy that she got 2X gas mileage. The only thing is that Prius (especially Prius v) is not a fast car. If you are used to the power of V6 or turbo, it will take sometime to get used to. Otherwise Prius is very well made and offers you with Toyota (Lexus) reliability. Volt is a good option and I drove it before. The center control where you adjust A/C and other things was really confusing. I almost burnt my axx as I couldn't turn off the seat heater. Also Volt is not as reliable as Prius. Subaru Hybrid doesn't offer a good gas mileage. My neighbor has a frog green one and he says he typically sees 32 to 35mpg which is not bad but still not as good as Prius.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think you drive far enough or often enough to fully benefit from a Prius. They need to be driven enough to charge the drive battery. Winter driving is tough on mileage because the engine needs to run to get up to optimum temperature and the engine will run often to keep stay up to temperature. Even a gasoline powered vehicle needs more driving than two miles at a time to get the engine warm for good fuel mileage, to boil the water from the engine oil, and to evaporate the moisture from the exhaust system. A bicycle might be best for your two mile commutes.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

The OP has not been on since August, 2016.

I DO wish that users would acknowledge the responses that they get.
AND follow up on what they end up doing.
SIGH.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page