Coin Holder for Center Console - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Coin Holder for Center Console

I couldn't find an acceptable one, so I designed and printed one myself. It holds about $8.50 in US coins and my wallet.

The black and yellow thing is my wallet. It hangs on the coin holder and stays within easy reach.

I am unable to post a link to my blog page, but if you search for "Mark Rehorst's Tech Topics" and then search the blog for "Prius" you'll get there.

Next project- a place to keep my sunglasses...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Good place for coins......IF you need to pay cash tolls on a regular basis.
But most places offer a "toll pass" that completely eliminates that problem AND saves you a few bucks too.
Handy for fast food drive thru too, I guess.

Then.....why complicate matters by not carrying your wallet in your pocket ?
If you are unconscious after a crash, the hospital won't know who you ARE.
And if a Police Officer asks for your ID and you reach into the center console.......bad things can happen.

My sunglasses go in a case in the door pocket.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I don't need to pay tolls, but I frequently stop for coffee or a sandwich on the road and having a supply of coins that aren't in the bottom of my pocket is handy. I frequently pay for small items in cash.

As for the wallet, I find it very uncomfortable to sit on it and don't feel the discomfort is the price I should pay, every time I drive, against the possibility of being in a wreck and unconscious when they find me. They'll figure out who I am quick enough from the license plate on the car.

As for police interactions, I'm 60 year old white guy with grey hair, driving a late model vehicle in good condition - not the type that usually gets shot by the police. Besides that, I learned a looong time ago (or is it just common sense?) that each and every time a cop pulls you over they are going to want to see your license, registration, and insurance card. On the few occasions I have been stopped by a cop in the 40+ years I have been driving, I've had the documents out in my hand before they every approached the car. I suggest you do likewise- it may prevent you getting shot. One more tip- don't argue with the police. No good can come of it. Be polite, say thank you, and move along.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrehorst View Post
As for the wallet, I find it very uncomfortable to sit on it and don't feel the discomfort is the price I should pay, every time I drive,
Which is why, no doubt, that some guys carry it in a FRONT pocket while driving.

I find it EXTREMELY embarrassing when I have removed mine to alleviate a butt cramp and then go inside for food and have no wallet to pay.

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

It's a matter of habit. For many years, when I get in the car, my wallet comes out of my pocket, and when I get out, it goes back into my pocket. I don't think about it, I just do it.

My wife loses things all the time and we waste a lot of time searching for her keys or her phone or her wallet. She once asked me why we never have to hunt for my stuff and I explained it - when my wallet comes out of my pocket, it's either in the car on on my dresser. My keys are either in my pocket on in a bowl by the door. I never put them anywhere else, so I don't have to think about where they were the last time I saw them. Such habits prevent a lot of wasted time.

I put this sign on the garage door, mostly for my wife's benefit ("glasses" are a reminder for me), and it has helped at least a little:

post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrehorst View Post
My wife loses things all the time and we waste a lot of time searching for her keys or her phone or her wallet.
Works the same way at my house.
Most often it is her phone.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List