LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default Thinking about a Gen 4

Hi All,

A few questions:

- How realistic is the established mileage figure?
- How is the reliability of the car?
- Are there any special procedures to prolong the service life of the battery/engine?
- Was the design a consideration in your purchase, I still cant get past it!!!
- Does Toyota introduce facelifts for the Prius?
- What are the best places to buy aftermarket accessories for this car?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2016, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The 2016 Prius is the second Prius I have owned. The first was a 2007. Using the Econ setting, I am getting 57 around town. Have not taken it one trip yet, so don't know hwy mileage. I have only had it for 2 months, so no problems yet. My 2007 never gave me a bit of trouble. Just drive it and you should never have to worry about the big traction battery. I have known several owners of older models that had over 250,000 miles on theirs and never had a bit of trouble with the traction battery. I changed the 12 volt battery after 6 yrs of usage simply because I wanted to. And I always used full synthetic oil in the engine. I did have the plugs changed at around 85,000 miles, but noticed no difference b4 and after.
The design is a bit different, but similar to many new cars now. The 2016 is much quieter, handles much better, more powerful, (if one can use that term with a Prius,) and gets about 8 mpg better than the 2007 that I enjoyed for many years. Some of the interiors I thought were quite different, but I ordered mine with black and I think it is quite traditional. The dash is very different, but can b configured to give a lot of info. Prius generally redesigns every 3-5 years.
There is very little available in the aftermarket.
Remember that certain things (like a spare tire) are only available on certain models. I fortunately discovered that b4 I almost bought a 2 Eco model. Good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile Gen 4 questions.

I have a level 3 that has the lithium motive battery. In warm weather I get a little over 60 mpg. In the winter the mileage drops to the mid 50s.The car has been very reliable. I had a 1st generation 2001 that had 244000 miles when I got my 2016. The battery on it was original. So that did not become a consideration. The design is up to the person and I haven't looked into any aftermarket upgrades.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2018, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default on my second prius

I bought a new 2018 Prius 3 Touring after owning a 2008 Prius 3 Touring for about 10.5 years and 172,000 miles. Mechanically there was nothing wrong with it - it was getting a little rough on the body and interior since my high school/college daughter used it on and off for about 3 years. I just wanted something a little fresher and nicer. It was still getting great mileage and was on the original traction battery. The only things that needed to be replaced in my ownership were headlight bulbs, tires, and brakes at about 165,000 miles.

I plan on keeping this one for at least as long as my previous Prius. Mileage is great so far, 51.7 mpg on the first tank of gas. But comfort, steering, handling and available power are vastly improved. And you don't have to coax it too much to get good mileage; it's just there without much effort.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyprius View Post

- How realistic is the established mileage figure?

- Was the design a consideration in your purchase, I still cant get past it!!!
- Does Toyota introduce facelifts for the Prius?
What exactly do you mean by "established mileage figure" ?
If you mean the EPA numbers, by driving just somewhat conservatively many folks find that they CAN get those numbers.
By driving "normally" you should get slightly less; if you have a lead foot, maybe a lot less.

What part of the design concerns you ??

What is a "facelift" ??

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page