Toyota Prius Forums banner

2002 Gen1 P3130, P3125 codes

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Skrappi69 
#1 ·
Newbie. I did a search in the forum but am unfamiliar with the forum so forgive the protocol breach.

Long and short,
picked up a 2002 Gen1 168k w/new aux battery and (supposedly) aftermarket factory refub main. Car ran great first two weeks. Driving the other day and main display went haywire like bad TV reception and car shut off. Sat for awhile with that nasty orange triangle with exclamation mark on the display and warning on display about main battery. Managed to get it started and home about a mile away. Code reader came up with P3130 and 3125 error. Coolant pump and Inverter temp respectively. I checked the coolant and it wasn't moving with engine running. Reseated the coolant pump connector and with car running still no coolant movement, noise or vibrations from pump. From what I've read on the forums it is recommended to swap the pump as this is common in Gen1's. Once the part is received I'll install the pump and reset the codes and see if the inverter comes back to life.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on this issue?

#2 ·
Issue resolved. After doing research everything pointed to replacing the Inverter Pump first seeing as it had obviously failed (P3130 code). My hope was after replacing the pump and resetting the error codes the Inverter would come back to life. Pretty much how it played out.

Long and short, I disconnected the auxiliary battery. Replaced the pump. Primed it and bled the air out of the system. The reservoir coolant showed movement so I know it was working. The P3125 code (Inverter overheating) was gone and took it for a test drive. Bled air from the system again just to be sure and topped off the coolant level. All seems to be fine. My initial fear was the inverter fried when the pump failed but it did what it was supposed to and shut down as a failsafe. With the new pump and it receiving a coolant supply everything is normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.