expected lifetime of the high voltage battery - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default expected lifetime of the high voltage battery

Can anyone estimate expected lifetime of the high voltage battery of a 2006 Prius? If the main battery fails, can the car continue to be driven as a regular non-hybrid car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Wild guess based on posts here and in other forums............
Maybe 12 years and/or 150,000 miles.
You might be on borrowed time.

NO, you can not drive it with a defective HV battery.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My 2001 had 230000 miles on it when I sold it. It was 15 years old.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Habig View Post
My 2001 had 230000 miles on it when I sold it. It was 15 years old.
Yes but many, MANY owners have had failures much earlier than that.
Were you the original owner ?
Did you live in a hot climate ?

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 8 Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Yes, I was the original owner. I live in Ohio, so neither too hot or cold. The battery was getting weaker at the end. Still a very good life. Far better than all of the fear that is out there about early battery failure.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Is there any way to check the high voltage battery and perhaps get an idea of its future?

2010 Prius. Within two weeks I'll click 100,000 miles. Original owner.

Battery indicator goes to two bars under certain conditions, mostly slow speed 15-20 mph in traffic, more frequently with the a/c unit on.

Parkway driving (55-65 mph) battery indicator is 3/4 or more.

Thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Mount View Post
Is there any way to check the high voltage battery and perhaps get an idea of its future?
Yes and no. Mostly no.

There are fancy testers and procedures available to check each cell but in the end, they are going to fail at a certain time pretty much no matter WHAT you do to them......and it's kind of like a heart attack; no real way to predict when.

The Toyota specific ODBII application can read the individual cells but I think that will just make you paranoid (more?).

Given the reports on here and other forums, my guess is that you should have at least a couple of good years left.
Just drive it until the first sign of electrical "weirdness" and then take it in for a complete diagnosis.

NOTE: 8 years would be a REALLY long run for the 12 V battery. If it is original, I suggest getting a new one NOW.

'17 Prius C-4
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default No Need to Listen to Wild Guesses; Get Facts w/OBD2 Reader & Test Yourself

While no one can say with certainty how long the battery will last, you can take a closer look at the battery and find out if there are current impending problems with it. However, you'll need an OBD2 adapter and software to gather that information.

Initially I purchased a VeePeak OBD2 bluetooth reader on Amazon that works with my Android phone/tablet to get information on my battery. Below you can see the test results. I also attached a screenshot of the information you can get on your battery from the Techstream software.

After additional research I found it's widely accepted to do is spend a little money on Toyota Techstream software to run as many tests as you want on your Prius (and perform maintenance) for less than $50, using the same software Toyota dealerships use. Here's an except from a helpful user on Priuschat.com regarding Techstream:

Quote:
Recommendation on OBD2 Readers
Techstream is the OFFICIAL diagnostic and maintenance software made for Toyota/Lexus, and used at Toyota/Lexus dealerships. Bluetooth OBD2 readers and all the various apps for smartphones/tablets are convenient (small and portable) but junk: LIMITED code reading ability (can't read ALL codes) and can NOT do any maintenance (bleed brakes, engine compression check, activate CHRS pump, etc). Why waste money on a toy that limits what you can read and can't do maintenance?

"But I don't DIY." Getting the codes read at a Toyota dealership will set you back $100+. The cost of the hacked Techstream from Amazon will pay for itself.

Get mini VCI w/ Techstream from Amazon ($18+). Doesn't matter who you buy from, as the cables likely come from the same one or two suppliers from panda land. May have to return/buy a few, as some cables have problems. Installation easiest on a Windows 32bit OS (XP, Vista, 7). Ask friends/family if they know someone in IT, as this person will likely have obsolete laptops laying around, and might be able to donate for free. B/C the software is hacked, recommended to install on a spare laptop; do not use this laptop for sensitive information (log in & passwords: email, bill payments, etc). This laptop is now your Toyota/Lexus diagnostic laptop. Mac install possible, you just need to search online.

Should you stop driving a Toyota/Lexus, you can easily sell your Techstream laptop set-up here. Private Sales | PriusChat (I can't embed links, so go to priuschat.com/forum/private-sales.17 )
Numerous experienced Prius mechanics are happy to offer help (at least on PriusChat.com, haven't spent as much time on PriusForum.com, but I assume they are as well) interpreting the codes and helping diagnose issues. It seems the users on Priuschat.com possess more experience and offer more helpful feedback based on my limited experience with both sites.

Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190616-154256_Dr Prius.jpg (71.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-06-22_16-57-56.jpg (244.0 KB, 0 views)

User Tag List