1st Gen prius Millage? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default 1st Gen prius Millage?

Just curious what performance numbers you guys are getting out of your 1st gen prius and how far can you go and what problems have you encountered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM

I'm extremely curious to find out if the 1st gen Prius MPG numbers have gone down from the 10+ years of them being on the road. Since it is a first generation Prius i wont be surprised if the MPG on them sucks now.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Been watching these for a few weeks now and most current owners are swearing they still getting 40+ mpg.
I'm wonder how the CVT trannies are holding up. The standard estimate of how long they last is 100K but many brag about the car having 200K+ without any major repairs. Is this true or is it just the lucky ones that get more than 100K on them.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 PM

Our 2002 Prius has been all over lately. We had the traction battery pack replaced in July 2013 with one from ReInvolt in North Carolina. In October they were bought out by Dorman Electronics. In June the traction battery pack threw several errors and had a SOC reading indicating a failed pack. Dorman replaced it under warranty, although we're STILL fighting a month later with paperwork to get the installer reimbursed for the installation labor. I'll call Monday to see if they finally got paid.
Anyway, before the battery went bad we were seeing a solid 43mpg city and 45mpg highway. After the pack was replaced I had to replace the MAF as it was throwing error codes and causing the computer to shut down the engine. On two highway trips this week of 250 miles each we saw 47 to 48mpg on the highway. I'm concerned though as mixed driving today on a fresh tank of gas yielded only 40mpg. I may replace the O2 sensor next.
We're on the original transmission and hybrid drive system and pushing 125,000 miles on the car.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogrimm View Post
I'm concerned though as mixed driving today on a fresh tank of gas yielded only 40mpg. I may replace the O2 sensor next.
Making changes based only on a perceived difference in fuel efficiency over a short time like that is usually not a wise thing to do.
Give it a little more time.
A 3 MPG difference can be caused by external conditions and measurement "error". Hot weather and running the AC more can account for 1-2.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Ours had 104,000 miles and we routinely get nearly 50mpg in town and low 40's on the highway. No problems with anything at all.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page