'01 Used Prius Needs New Battery - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question '01 Used Prius Needs New Battery

Hello everyone, I am a newb to the community. I am here to learn as much as I can about this model before purchasing one. But also, to help a friend who recently was burned by a "friend" of his when he bought the alleged friend's used '01 Prius. It sounded like a great deal until he discovered that the battery was on its last legs. The so-called friend didn't disclose that. After the money changed hands he admitted the battery needed to be replaced.

My friend who bought the car tells me he is facing a $2,900 bill to replace the battery. Can that be right? Seriously? On an '01?

I am thinking there must be a way here in Los Angeles to locate a "deal" on a new battery for this car? Is it worth replacing the battery on a Prius that old? Anyway, my buddy is feeling pretty bad about this transaction, I could have told him that he should have known better to buy a car with technology that was new to him without first investigating the condition of the car. But that's like telling him he should have closed the gate to keep the cow from getting out. Too little too late.

So I thought I might get lucky and discover some way to help him minimize the expense he's facing. I am sure plenty of members here have been down this road and know the best solutions. I would hate to see him make matters worse by pouring good money after bad. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo21 View Post
My friend who bought the car tells me he is facing a $2,900 bill to replace the battery. Can that be right? Seriously? On an '01?
Yes. Sorry.

With a little shopping around, you might be able to get the price down around $2,000 or a bit less.

Anything substantially less than that will get you a "rebuilt" battery where they just replace the "modules" that have gone bad (there are about 24 of them) and the rest of the old ones will still be in there. It likely will fail again soon.......hopefully within the warranty period for the rebuilt battery but it's likely to be a pain in the ass for a LONG time.

SO......take the price your friend paid for the car and add $2000. Would that still have been a "fair" price, compared to Kelly, NADA, Edmunds estimates ??

Buying a car "as is" does not cover intentional fraud. Has your friend considered legal action ??

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Yes. Sorry.

With a little shopping around, you might be able to get the price down around $2,000 or a bit less.

Anything substantially less than that will get you a "rebuilt" battery where they just replace the "modules" that have gone bad (there are about 24 of them) and the rest of the old ones will still be in there. It likely will fail again soon.......hopefully within the warranty period for the rebuilt battery but it's likely to be a pain in the ass for a LONG time.

SO......take the price your friend paid for the car and add $2000. Would that still have been a "fair" price, compared to Kelly, NADA, Edmunds estimates ??

Buying a car "as is" does not cover intentional fraud. Has your friend considered legal action ??
Hello Easy Rider, and thank you for the thoughtful reply! I have talked my friend out of the "rebuilt" battery explaining to him, as you pointed out, that the rebuilt battery still contains old modules that can subsequently fail and cause him continuing grief down the road. With the California sales tax, registration, and best possible price (figuring $2,000) for a new battery, he will be into the car for about $3,500 after the battery is replaced. The body and paint is rough, it has a "fair" cloth interior, CD player, no sun/moon roof, light green color. He thought he was getting a smoking deal for $1,000 + tax and registration.

Legal action is not an option, he didn't say why I didn't press. I think he would be making a mistake to put the HV battery in the car but, again, I am not experienced with hybrid values. But just from what I know about cars in general and common sense, to invest over $2K in the car now only to have a car worth about $1500 to $2250 according to Kelley (after installing a new battery) I think would be foolish.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this. Again, the car is only fair shape, inside and out. it has 180,000 miles. I don't have any other info about the mechanical condition (such as whether or not any other major repair work has been done, e.g. transmission, engine, etc.) so it's really hard to assess the value. Just going by Kelley though it seems like a losing proposition.

He is acting like he wants to keep the car, he seems really invested in fixing it up for some reason. So without any good argument to convince him otherwise, I guess I will just wish him good luck?

post #4 of 4 Old 09-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo21 View Post
He is acting like he wants to keep the car, he seems really invested in fixing it up for some reason. So without any good argument to convince him otherwise, I guess I will just wish him good luck?
I think so.

Personally, I would NEVER invest ~$2000 into a car with 180,000 miles.....or pay $3000 for one.
It probably uses oil and the other "serviceable" systems might have been neglected too.
Tires, brakes (including fluid), transmission, cooling system.....on and on.

If he insists on keeping it, a rebuilt battery from a company with a good warranty and good reputation might be right for HIM. It isn't for most people.

ALSO......an professional inspection of the engine and transmission basics would be a really good idea.
That should have been done BEFORE he got it.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page