I have wanted a Prius since 2009!! - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2020, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default I have wanted a Prius since 2009!!

I just bought a 2014 Prius v two with 144,000 miles on it. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Here is my backstory.....

Hi everybody Back in 2009 I wanted a Prius but we couldn't comfortably fit 3 people in the back seat- So we went with a Mercury Milan hybrid (same as a Ford Fusion). Well- 10 years later- Mercury went out of business( it was actually in 2010) , and the car was too small to drive comfortably from NJ to SC every month with 3 dogs. So we got a Honda Pilot for the hauling room which ended up being my preferred car to drive, and my hubby took over the hybrid Milan for his work car.

Then came Covid 19- and we were in SC at the time in our retirement house that we have yet to move into full time when the lockdown was ordered. We still have one foot in NJ. My son lives in that home when we are South. Hubby flies back and forth for work every month and I stay in SC most of the year and go home to NJ in the summers. Except for this year......Covid. Hubby is not flying- but driving back and forth due to Covid- and I was without a car for 2 weeks and was not very happy about it the first time he drove home alone.

So..... We bought a Prius v two- 2014 with 143,000 miles on it for me to drive around in SC! I love it. I test drove the regular Prius (private seller) and found it to be too small for me- I hit my head getting in and the windshield was just too small. We stopped at a dealership on the way home and stumbled on the Prius v. It had more miles than I wanted- tried to get one under 100,000 on it, but I took a chance and bought it i'm hoping that the traction battery lasts another 100,000 miles.

I drove the Mercury Milan for about 9 years and didn't change my driving style. I didn't know I had to- to get better mileage. So now I have googled and youtubed, learned about Pulse, Glide, and coast, what the B on the shifter means, breaking slowly and coasting, and learned to NEVER run out of gas, and if you do, pull over and get gas delivered- at least 3 gallons worth or get a tow. Any other thoughts for new owners? Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
Then came Covid 19- and we were in SC at the time in our retirement house that we have yet to move into full time when the lockdown was ordered.

Any other thoughts for new owners? Thanks for reading
First, there never was not and still is not any real "lockdown" order in place except in a scant few "hot spots".
It is NOT the travelling that can create a problem but what kind of interaction with other people you do at each end.....and in the middle if it is a long trip.

My advice is to just drive the car and enjoy it while you can.......and concentrate on driving safely and not on all of those distracting "techniques" that have questionable value.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default NJ was a hot spot in March

There was an official lockdown in NJ( a shelter in place order)- where I am a resident, and NYC where my daughter is a resident. We left in early March to travel to SC, where we have another house, and are still here since now NJ and NY have ordered mandatory quarantine of 14 days from people entering those states from the current hotspots- SC being one of them. 3 towns around me have passed mandatory mask laws. The worst of covid is yet to come.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2020, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
There was an official lockdown in NJ( a shelter in place order)-
There is no convenient term for "stay away from other people".
So their "shelter in place" is used but doesn't convey the real intent.
It is NOT a "lockdown".

As long as you have contact ONLY with the people you normally live with, it makes NO difference how many miles you travel with them or where you go. As long as there is nobody else present at your destination.

Alas, WAY too many people can't grasp the real situation so it has to be simplified.
Even worse, is that some know what the smart thing to do IS but ignore it.
Too bad that they will take others with them to the grave.

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey there! Glad to see you here
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2020, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlXk4 View Post
Hey there! Glad to see you here
Hey there, Carl.

How about contributing something meaningful......like what kind of Prius you have ??

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page