New Forum Member - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default New Forum Member

My wife & I bought a 2015 Prius II in February of 2016. It's been a great vehicle. We've got just over 30k miles on it. The maintenance portion of the manual doesn't suggest when to replace fluids, except engine oil, the front differential oil & transmission fluid, or belts. So, I'll be interested in y'alls' experiences with those things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
The maintenance portion of the manual doesn't suggest when to replace fluids, except engine oil, the front differential oil & transmission fluid, or belts.
What other fluids are there to worry about ?

I bet that it does have a recommendation for replacement of brake fluid and coolant.....and that should be all that there is.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 9 Old 12-03-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
What other fluids are there to worry about ?

I bet that it does have a recommendation for replacement of brake fluid and coolant.....and that should be all that there is.
NOPE! I got soft copies off the Toyota website, and neither the Owner's Manual nor the Warranty and Maintenance Guide say anything about when to replace other fluids. They want you to have a Toyota tech tell you that...

My Honda says to replace the brake fluid every 3 years, and I've done that on our Chrysler, too, which we bought long before the Honda. Coolant manufacturers say their stuff's good for 5 years, so I follow that.

It seems like the car makers have backed off the prescribed maintenance replacement schedule, so that we'll patronize their service departments...

post #4 of 9 Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibson View Post
It seems like the car makers have backed off the prescribed maintenance replacement schedule, so that we'll patronize their service departments...
I think you are totally mistaken here but I don't know why.

I have never seen a vehicle that does NOT recommend changing the brake fluid......and on cars with ABS, it usually is every 2 years.

The coolant is good for 100K miles, supposedly, but it's not good forever.

If they wanted to drive business to the service departments, they would have MORE routine requirements, not less.

P.S. If you bought the vehicle NEW, why don't you have the original owners manual on paper ??

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 9 Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
I think you are totally mistaken here but I don't know why.

I have never seen a vehicle that does NOT recommend changing the brake fluid......and on cars with ABS, it usually is every 2 years.

The coolant is good for 100K miles, supposedly, but it's not good forever.

If they wanted to drive business to the service departments, they would have MORE routine requirements, not less.

P.S. If you bought the vehicle NEW, why don't you have the original owners manual on paper ??
I do have the original owner's manual in hard copy. I just don't want to run out to the car every time I wanna look something up. Plus in the soft copies, I can search for key words, like "replace." Honest, besides tires, batteries, fuses, filters and lights, the only things that the manual tells one to replace are the engine oil (every 5k miles), transmission fluid & differential oil (60k miles). And, the latter 2 are only to be replaced if the vehicle's been subjected to heavy loading or towing. But, there's no suggestion to replace it under normal use. All other fluids & hardware are to be inspected every 5k miles.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-04-2018, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Something is wrong here.

The electronic copy that you have might be incomplete OR the searches you are doing might be missing something.

It is IMPORTANT to change the brake fluid periodically.....and the coolant too only much less often.

Also I'm pretty sure that the oil change interval for that year was up to at least 6.5K miles but not positive about that.

I strongly encourage you to look this up in your paper copy.

I'm pretty sure that no "consumer" vehicle has ever been made that did not recommend changing the brake fluid and coolant......except maybe for model Ts with manual brakes and some obscure model with an air cooled engine.

'17 Prius C-4
post #7 of 9 Old 12-05-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

If you have a '17 Prius C-4, what does your manual say about this?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

The car.....and the manual.....just left for a while.
I will try to remember to look it up this afternoon.
Drop me a private message as a reminder if you want.

'17 Prius C-4
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

The paper, i.e., hard copy of the manual is identical to the soft copy I got off the Toyota web site. There's no mention of when to replace fluids like I mentioned above. In the Owner's Manual, they say "For scheduled maintenance information, refer to the “Owner’s Manual Supplement/ Scheduled Maintenance Guide." There is none. There is a Maintenance Log in the Warranty/Maintenance Guide, but again, and it says what I've suggested above.

I'm not the only one wondering about this...See this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page