Hello all - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default Hello all

I have 2009 Prius with 155k miles on it that had its hybrid battery and computer replaced 2 Year?s ago. 2 weeks ago the little red triangle with an exclamation point started coming on occasionally when breaking. Throughout this past week it has increased in frequency. Now it is coming on every time braking or decelerating (foot off the gas and not on autopilot). This is exactly what was occurring the first time the battery went bad.
When I watch the battery on the energy screen it is stagnant. It is not charging during braking and it is not contributing energy when accelerating. I couldn?t get the car into dealership until today. Let?s just say the weekend crew is not as on top of their game as the week day crew. Check in was confusing and did not instill confidence. They call later and say they don?t know what?s wrong with it but it?s NOT the battery. Really? They are keeping the car until Monday. Because that is when they have a competent mechanic on? Or it?s when the head manager is on to deal with upset me when they tell me it is the battery?
Am I too jaded to feel like I need to question everything? Anyways hoping to know the codes by Monday. But stressing about it in the meantime and hoping some one here can rest my fears or confirm my suspicions.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Can't say much at this point except:

If you got your "new" battery from anybody except a Toyota dealer, then it probably was used/rebuilt and failing after 2 years should probably be expected.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 6 Old 10-01-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

It was with the dealership. They even strongly urged replacing the computer with the battery (even though they admitted the computer was fine). If we just replaced the battery and not the computer they would not honor even the 1 year warranty. So we did both the battery and the computer. They also admit that NOBODY replaces these with a new battery. Even Toyota dealerships replace with recycled cells and refurbished batteries.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixenkitty View Post
Even Toyota dealerships replace with recycled cells and refurbished batteries.
And if you believed that crock of bull.......I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

IF.....they sold something like that as "new" and it isn't, they could get into BIG trouble.
And they certainly don't want to settle a multi-million dollar law suit.

I think they screwed you over with the "computer" story too.
How much did all that cost you ?

Where are you located ?
Would you perchance like to tell us which dealer that WAS ??

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 6 Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

I specifically asked for a new battery/new cells and they said that was impossible to even order for my year Prius. The best they could do was the refurbished batteries. And the 1 year warranty was null if I didn?t also replace the computer. I believe they had new ones for the models from 1010 and up. Dealership in Buford GA
(Automation Toyota Buford). I was able to talk them down to from 4K for everything to ~2.4k I think, if I am remembering right.
And I hope I am wrong but the light is coming on exactly as it did before (when breaking or decelerating) when the hybrid battery was dead
post #6 of 6 Old 10-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixenkitty View Post
And I hope I am wrong but the light is coming on exactly as it did before (when breaking or decelerating) when the hybrid battery was dead
No HIGHLY unlikely that you are not wrong in that.

I STRONGLY encourage you to contact a different dealer .......or two.....AND look for some independent shops in your area that specialize in hybrid batteries.

Hopefully they won't ALL screw you over with parts you don't need .....AND they won't charge you "new" price for something used.

A rebuilt battery should have cost about HALF what they charged you.

I don't know if it is true or not that really new batteries are not available for your model but if it IS true I don't think the car is a keeper. Almost everybody who tries a rebuilt battery is lucky if it lasts a year. I don't think you want to spend $4K every year on a "new" battery.......or even $2K for that matter.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page