New Prius 3 owner - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-06-2015, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Default New Prius 3 owner

I got a new 2015 with the solar roof yesterday. It's going to take some getting used to but I really like it. I'm looking forward to learning more here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Welcome.

Unless they have changed the design recently, the "solar roof" ONLY operates a tiny little vent fan helps keep the interior from getting so hot when it is parked in the sun.

Reports I have seen indicate that parking it in the shade is still much more effective.

'17 Prius C-4
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2015, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
Welcome.

Unless they have changed the design recently, the "solar roof" ONLY operates a tiny little vent fan helps keep the interior from getting so hot when it is parked in the sun.

Reports I have seen indicate that parking it in the shade is still much more effective.
I would think a "Tint" job would also be effective at keeping the interior heat down, with the added benefit of blocking cancer causing UV rays, even in the 55% darkness range.

We are in the process of purchasing a new 2015 Prius 2 (before they are all gone), so we won't even have the solar roof option to consider.

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-16-2015 at 05:24 AM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 10 Old 10-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
with the added benefit of blocking cancer causing UV rays, even in the 55% darkness range.
The only practical tint, IMHO, is the "solar" one but it's expensive.

Standard tints don't really help with the heat until they are so dark as to be dangerous, especially at night. And illegal too in some places.

Just FYI:
Plain glass blocks something like 97% of the UV rays by itself so you really don't have to worry about UV.

The heat comes in with Infared light (IR) and the amount of IR blocked by most common tint films is LESS than the number quoted for visible light.

'17 Prius C-4
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
The only practical tint, IMHO, is the "solar" one but it's expensive.

Standard tints don't really help with the heat until they are so dark as to be dangerous, especially at night. And illegal too in some places.

Just FYI:
Plain glass blocks something like 97% of the UV rays by itself so you really don't have to worry about UV.

The heat comes in with Infared light (IR) and the amount of IR blocked by most common tint films is LESS than the number quoted for visible light.
I think I read that the windshield, because it is laminated, does block most UV rays (it is actually the plastic lamination that is providing the protection, not the glass). Having said that, it is also my understanding that the rest of the glass (tempered), does not offer the same UV protection.

Factory privacy glass, being a "dyed" product, does not offer any protection other than privacy.

I was shocked to learn the lack of protection provided by factory privacy (or dyed) glass. It also explains why people will use a 55% -80% tint, over (or under), the factory privacy glass. It won't make the windows much darker, which is good, because as you pointed out, when the windows get too dark, you run into state law issues, but will enhance the protection features of quality tint (which is too expensive, but much better than what you will find at Wal-Mart).

Our local tint shop will use any % you want, but when you get the ticket for anything darker than 35% (in Tennessee), they will charge you to remove and replace it. As long as your not darker than 35%, they will certify on the invoice that is meets state requirements, and provide a lifetime warranty.

Personally, 35% is still too dark for me, particularly at night. I like the coverage 55% gives.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 AM

Here is a link to the tint I will be using with our new Prius, once it arrives next week:

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/826...t_auto_CXP.pdf

We used the 55% on my Daughters 2015 Honda Fit, and the look was excellent (without being too dark). For the 4" sun strip on the top of the windshield, we use 18% (really helpful when driving into the sun for extended periods).
post #7 of 10 Old 10-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Having said that, it is also my understanding that the rest of the glass (tempered), does not offer the same UV protection.

I was shocked to learn the lack of protection provided by factory privacy (or dyed) glass.
Your understanding is totally wrong.

ANY actual glass blocks most of the UV (tanning) rays. Various types of plastic gives varying protection.

Neither normal glass nor plastic blocks any of the IR however and the heat passes right on through. The "solar" film blocks a large percentage of the invisible IR without cutting down on the visible light much at all.

'17 Prius C-4
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here is a link to the tint I will be using with our new Prius, once it arrives next week:
IF you really are concerned about heat reduction, it is likely that NONE of films in that line will help you much. Note that they do not list the IR blockage.

'17 Prius C-4
post #9 of 10 Old 10-17-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Your understanding is totally wrong.

ANY actual glass blocks most of the UV (tanning) rays. Various types of plastic gives varying protection.

Neither normal glass nor plastic blocks any of the IR however and the heat passes right on through. The "solar" film blocks a large percentage of the invisible IR without cutting down on the visible light much at all.
Here is an educational clip from youtube that I first found on the EPGAA (Enhanced Protective Glass Automotive Association), website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOw7NDDA158

The clip is only about 1:04 long, but provides both an excellent visual and narrative explanation of the subject. I have seen this same conversation on every automotive Forum I have been on. It also serves to explain why you don't need to tint your front windshield, even with the clearest % of tint (Dark tint on your front windshield is illegal for obvious reasons).
post #10 of 10 Old 10-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here is an educational clip from youtube that I first found on the EPGAA (Enhanced Protective Glass Automotive Association), website.
That obviously is a biased "marketing" clip, designed to make a point for the sale of their products.

Both kinds of UV radiation are NOT visible to the human eye so their little demonstration is really invalid.

Further research indicates, however, that it's basic points are valid so I stand corrected. Plain glass blocks UV B (that causes sunburn) but not UV A which can cause skin damage without any visible signs WITH LONG AND INTENSE EXPOSURES.

None of that, however, has anything to do with heat transmittal.

'17 Prius C-4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page