Got our new Prius, some issues - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Default Got our new Prius, some issues

Hello to all Prius'ers! We picked up our new Prius from Toyota of Tri-Cities on Friday March 20th. We love almost everything about it - got 49.7 MPG driving the 22 miles from the dealer to our house! This is freeway and uphill so we are sure we will beat that mileage overall. We looked at (and test drove) Honda Accord Hybrid, Ford Focus Energi, Chevy Volt, and some used cars, but in the end the Prius totally won us over. There are two issues that are vexing: 1) the "Level A" audio system does not change the preset list when changing modes (i.e., from AM to FM to Satellite). It also does not display the satellite channel info except for the channel you are on - so we get to memorize the numbers I guess. Our former Nissan Leaf had buttons for each mode and changed the channel listing when mode was switched, so we were spoiled. I see the Nav system ($4,300 we could not afford) does have this. Anyone dealt with this?
Second, the backup beeper will drive us crazy. I read the dealer can fix this, is that true?
Otherwise, a very fine car and we are thrilled with it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petecomp1 View Post
1) the "Level A" audio system does not change the preset list when changing modes (i.e., from AM to FM to Satellite).

Second, the backup beeper will drive us crazy. I read the dealer can fix this, is that true?
Some people like having a "shared" list of presets. That allows you to switch bands automatically if you set buttons in the same row for different things.

Are they REALLY still putting that asinine, stupid backup beeper on these cars ?? This is seriously stupid.

Yes, the dealer can set an option so that it beeps only once when you hit reverse........but Toyota should be eliminating the stupid thing altogether.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Default Thanks

Thanks for your helpful reply Easyrider. So today I spent a half hour with the audio and set up the presets in a way that allows me to quickly find and select favorite channels. Still it would be far better if the switching of mode would carry its own preset page in my case anyway.
Yes that beeper is nuts. One beep would be okay, even helpful. Our Leaf had a backup beeper on the outside of the car which was still quite annoying. In this nanny state we live in I guess they just cannot take the risk of being sued if we back into someone. Anyway thanks and take care. We just got back from a 12 mile trip mixed high speed and traffic and got 59.9 mpg! What a car!

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

OK, so here's the thing with the beeper:
On the American continent, it is NOT required by any "nanny state".
AFAIK, Toyota is the only one doing it and only on some models.
Makes absolutely no sense to me.

And if that 59.9 MPG came from the computer readout, an actual record and calculate is likely to show you that number is a bit high. I'd expect about 55 actual. But that's still pretty good. It's about what I get with my C under ideal conditions.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
And if that 59.9 MPG came from the computer readout, an actual record and calculate is likely to show you that number is a bit high. I'd expect about 55 actual. But that's still pretty good. It's about what I get with my C under ideal conditions.
Yes I will be calibrating after my first fill up. Should be able to see any inaccuracies then and will report what I find at that time. At our current rate of driving, it will be at least 2 weeks until then. Looks like we will be about 4-6 weeks between fill ups. Such a problem to have!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-08-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Default Update, 3 weeks

Okay we are 3 weeks in now and I have some numbers:
Overall actual MPG (calculated from odometer & gas pumps): 46.79
Overall reported MPG from car's computer: 49.1
Recent trip to Seattle (200 miles one way. 418 miles total) including around-town of 20 miles: 40.41 MPG actual, 43.9 computer.
This trip was the worst imaginable conditions, steady 25 MPH headwind on the way over, several thousand feet elevation change, rain, snow, you name it, heater running most of the time, and keeping up with 75+ MPH traffic most of the time. I think this is simply outstanding MPG's!
Also fixed the backup & seatbelt warning beepers with Carista. Cool program!
Bill

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page