Toyota Prius Forums banner

2010 Prius only getting 32 mpg due to wheels/tires...need replacements

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nikkireed 
#1 ·
I bought the car six weeks ago with 18" aftermarket wheels and Z-rated tires. I figured I might be taking a small, maybe 2-3 mpg hit with this set-up and it would be worth the sacrifice, but I am getting only 32 mpg. I need to find replacement wheels/tires, as this defeats the whole purpose of having a Prius.

I'm not a fan of the standard 15" wheels and would prefer not to go with those even though they would give me optimal mpg. Right now I'm most interested in the Persona 17" wheels, although I would take a 4-5 mpg hit using those. I have no idea about what tires I should get. I am looking for other wheel/tire suggestions that would minimize my mpg loss to no more than the Personas would.

I live in San Diego; winter tires are not necessary.

Here are the wheels on the car now:
http://www.tirebuyer...CFQ9eQgodiBsArw[1]
Tires (only site I could find that had the exact match):
‰¿Ši.com - KINFOREST MAYRUN MR500 225/40ZR18 92W XL ‚̃Nƒ`ƒRƒ~ŒfŽ¦”Â[2]

#3 ·
I have no idea about what tires I should get. I am looking for other wheel/tire suggestions that would minimize my mpg loss to no more than the Personas would.
A couple of thoughts:
Those oversized wheels might be throwing the ODOmeter off and making it appear that you are going less miles than you really ARE.

You need to do a few Internet searches for "low rolling resistance" tires.
Regardless of the wheel size, a soft high resistance tire will kill your mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.