Thinking of buying 3rd gen but have questions - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Thinking of buying 3rd gen but have questions

for anyone who has owned a third gen Prius, how is the navigation system or the solar powered ac option? Is it worth shelling out more money for those or not really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

The NAV system in the Prii is barely adequate and the procedure and cost to update the map is absolutely ridiculous; all models.
I certainly would not pay extra for it; a Garmin is much better.
With a 3rd party unit, your passenger can change the programming and do searches while going down the road; not so with the in-dash unit. I think that applies to all makes and models.

And I think you are confused about the solar power option.
It really is just a low power vent; has nothing to do with actual A/C.

A truly wise man is one who knows that he knows not.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Default Hmm

so if I Get a 3rd gen focus on backup camera which I really want as well as Bluetooth ? Those worth it's?

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty much everything but the cheapest most basic models come with Bluetooth these days.
And a backup camera is required equipment with the '17 models; most everybody has them a year early.

So you shouldn't have to "focus" on either of those things.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
The NAV system in the Prii is barely adequate and the procedure and cost to update the map is absolutely ridiculous; all models.
I certainly would not pay extra for it; a Garmin is much better.
With a 3rd party unit, your passenger can change the programming and do searches while going down the road; not so with the in-dash unit. I think that applies to all makes and models.
I couldn't agree more with Easy Rider. I have a 2013 Prius, the maps for my area are obsolete, map updates are scarce plus the update cost (if there is even an update available) is more than buying a new top of the line Garmin. I just recently bought a top of the line Garmin and use it in my Prius even though it has the NAV system already in it.
You also can't adjust the Prius NAV while the car is moving so you have to come to a complete stop if you want to do a detour or change anything.

Horrible! It sounded like a good idea at the time since I never had a car with a built-in NAV system before, but now I don't think I'll ever buy a car and spend the extra money on an overpriced navigation system.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM
LDB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just bought a 2015 3 yesterday with the solar roof option. As I understand it, it runs the normal vent/a/c fan through 2 vents if the temp is over 68 and if the hybrid battery is over 20% capacity. For the A/C part there is an extra button on the fob that you can press from up to about 100 feet away to start the A/C, again with adequate battery capacity, and it will run for up to 3 minutes. I got the option and as soon as I learn how to set it and use it will hopefully enjoy it's benefits as much as I anticipate.

The nav doesn't impress me. I looked at it when I got home to try to set "home". I couldn't immediately find a way to do it. It also showed half a dozen or so grocery carts scattered about in the residential area. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I'll likely get a Garmin some day.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
For the A/C part there is an extra button on the fob that you can press from up to about 100 feet away to start the A/C, again with adequate battery capacity, and it will run for up to 3 minutes.

The nav doesn't impress me.
The A/C function you describe likely is a "remote start" function and really has nothing to do with the solar option........although they might be "packaged" together.

About the only good thing about the NAV is that it's impossible to leave home without it.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2015, 12:44 PM
LDB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I used the a/c button for the first time this morning. It turned on the a/c and it did make it better getting into the car after breakfast. I noticed the battery showed one less bar than when we arrived and parked. It ran for probably 90-120 seconds. I'm not positive if the solar roof did it's thing or not but I believe I had it set correctly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page