What do you hate about your Prius? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-03-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Default What do you hate about your Prius?

For me: My stereo does not come with AUX hookup. Car doesn't come with Bluetooth capabilities either. The cheap upholstery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For me its the new headlights. Bright but they point lower towards the ground so you can see only so far ahead then its black.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureco99 View Post
For me: My stereo does not come with AUX hookup. Car doesn't come with Bluetooth capabilities either. The cheap upholstery.
Those first two complaints indicate to me that you bought the wrong model.
I'm pretty sure that both are available.

A truly wise man is one who knows that he knows not.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-04-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I have the 2004 Gen 2
post #5 of 15 Old 11-10-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I hate my wife's 2014 Prius v because changing oil isn't as easy as our previous cars. I don't know why Toyota designed it like that. I replaced oil/filter this past weekend and it took much longer than our previous cars (non Prius). I had to remove pins and bend the under-cover. To bend the cover, I really had to raise the car high. The direction the cover bent is towards the front of the car and the cover itself is pretty large. Once the cover is open, access to the drain bolt was easy. But the oil filter?! My God! The oil filter cap (that black plastic thing) even has some kind of interlock so that loosening the filter cap took a long time. Just wondering why Toyota doesn't use a regular spin on type. I completed the oil/filter change but exhausted My wife used to drive Nissan Juke and oil/filter change was breeze. I will need to purchase a set of car ramps for the next oil change.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

I can see some mild dislike but HATE.....really ??

I think you are right though that most car designers don't take into consideration the "shade tree" mechanic who does his own maintenance without enough equipment.

I think you were somewhat lucky that it worked out so good with the last car.

Last edited by Easy Rider; 11-10-2015 at 07:58 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-10-2015, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureco99 View Post
I have the 2004 Gen 2
I have removed the totally useless arguement so let's start over.

IF your model has a "regular" radio/audio head without a video type display screen with touch controls on it.......most any car stereo store would be thrilled to sell you a replacement radio that does have those features.

A lot of models in 2004 lacked those features.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-11-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilygo View Post
I hate my wife's 2014 Prius v because changing oil isn't as easy as our previous cars. I don't know why Toyota designed it like that. I replaced oil/filter this past weekend and it took much longer than our previous cars (non Prius). I had to remove pins and bend the under-cover. To bend the cover, I really had to raise the car high. The direction the cover bent is towards the front of the car and the cover itself is pretty large. Once the cover is open, access to the drain bolt was easy. But the oil filter?! My God! The oil filter cap (that black plastic thing) even has some kind of interlock so that loosening the filter cap took a long time. Just wondering why Toyota doesn't use a regular spin on type. I completed the oil/filter change but exhausted My wife used to drive Nissan Juke and oil/filter change was breeze. I will need to purchase a set of car ramps for the next oil change.
I can see how you would become frustrated, with what used to be (and still is), a normal home routine for millions of people. I mean, who has not changed their own oil in the past (besides most women). Our 2015 Prius is too new for me to have even considered the project, and our 2015 Honda Fit that my other daughter drives, also comes with a large plastic cover (that I hate as well). Your post has deterred me from even attempting the project, and I thank you for that.

Perhaps it is my age, but I have become somewhat lazy, and now let the dealer perform those tasks. It free's up my time for more gardening (something I truly enjoy), and at the same time gives me a documented history of the maintenance performed, should I, or my daughters, ever need it. The dealer usually has pretty good deals for an oil change, and while my cars are there, I also have them rotate the tires.

My Dad was a car guy, and could take a car apart and put it back together. Near the end of his life, even he had stopped servicing his own car. He could still however diagnose the problem, and could school the service writer or even the mechanic on how to fix it.

About the only thing I "tinker" with now is my John Deere Diesel riding lawn mower (built in 1996). If I screw up and it does not get put back together quickly, it just means I need to hire someone to mow my yard for a few weeks. Otherwise, I am free to spread parts all over my garage, while at the same time satisfying the manly desire to play in grease and oil.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi Easy Rider, you are right. The word "hate" is bit too strong in my case and "dislike" is more like it. I love my wife's prius v overall. Just like many modern cars, automakers don't think about DIY people and true the number of DIY people is getting less and less. I am the only one among my friends who actually work on my cars.

Hi Vanguard, it is not as bad as it sounds, though. As long as you have a set of car ramps, you can do it. The rest of tools are the same as any other cars. The cartridge style filter is something you will get used to. Come to think of it, motorcycles back in 70's all had the cartridge type. I am an old guy and has been working on my motorcycles and cars. The next oil change would be much easier and faster as I know exactly what to expect.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilygo View Post
as I know exactly what to expect.
That's a dangerous statement to make.
Mr. Murphy will get you !!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page