2010 door lock problems - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question 2010 door lock problems

Brand new here and, after some searching, I'm not finding any topics that cover the issues I've been having with my 2010 Prius door locks.

Purchased this vehicle in August of 2014 as a "Toyota Certified used vehicle" with just under 30,000 miles. The first problem cropped up about 2 months ago (3,000 miles past the 15,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty) with the front passenger door lock. It simply stopped responding to both the fob and door lock button inside the car. Had it checked at the dealership and was told the lock actuator needed to be replaced. I have yet to replace it and have been locking and unlocking the door manually. About a month ago, I attempted to lock the doors with the interior button when the keys were still inside, activating the security feature that automatically unlocks the doors. Once I retrieved the keys, I attempted to lock the doors in the same fashion, but then the drivers side front door lock stopped responding to both the interior lock button and the fob. It remained this way for several hours, but then began working again later that day. Fast forward to earlier this week: same thing happened with inadvertently leaving the keys in the car and attempting to lock it, but it's been several days and it is still not working. Any ideas or am I going to need to replace both actuators?
Anyone have any experience using a non-Toyota lock actuator? Dealership wanted almost $600 to replace the one for passenger side door and there are aftermarket parts online for as little as $20.

Sorry for the novel. Wanted to make sure I included all the details. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatilived4 View Post
Any ideas or am I going to need to replace both actuators?

Dealership wanted almost $600 to replace the one for passenger side door and there are aftermarket parts online for as little as $20.
I don't remember anyone using aftermarket parts but DO remember hearing that an independent shop will do them for about half what the Toyota dealer wants. Still not really what you would call cheap.

Yes you probably will need to do both.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
I don't remember anyone using aftermarket parts but DO remember hearing that an independent shop will do them for about half what the Toyota dealer wants. Still not really what you would call cheap.

Yes you probably will need to do both.
Thanks for the reply! I figured as much as far as having to replace both actuators. Trying to poke around and see of anyone has had luck with the aftermarket parts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page