Whats better for the Prius: Synthetic or Conventional? - Toyota Prius Forum : Toyota Prius Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default Whats better for the Prius: Synthetic or Conventional?

So does anyone know what the FSM recommends? Is it Synthetic or conventional? Also which one do you guys think would be better to use? I know technically synthetic is better than conventional but in some vehicles conventional is more than enough for the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Id go with whatever the FSM would recommend for it. They put a lot of time into doing research on whats the best for it so why not follow their recommendation.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM

i would go with synthetic no matter what. theyre engineered to lubricate better and outlast conventional oil. the extra price you pay when you buy them is worth the extra protection and longevity that they provide.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

So I guess majority would recommend synthetic. I guess for the extra money it will cost me in the long run its worth investing that into the car.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 AM

According to me it is good to use synthetic oil because it will protect the engine better than regular motor oil and will increase the efficiency of the different components of the engine, which in turn will result in higher performance for the Prius on the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM

Synthetic oil is the best choice for any vehicle to run a long time. It's more stable and better to reduce the friction between the moving parts in the engine.

Mr. Muffler Auto Repair
post #7 of 8 Old 09-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Both are good but I mostly preferred Synthetic. Synthetic often opens up out engine waste. And it permeates. It can cause dripping leaking but my old Prius took to it well. You can always change coming back. I do not extend oil changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 PM
KLS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With a very small number of exceptions, conventional oil is suitable for every other engine, unless a viscosity is specified that cannot be made from conventional stocks. 0W-20 and 5W-40 are two examples.

My Prime owner's manual calls for syn 0W-20 for 10,000 mile oil changes or 5W-20 for 5,000 miles. It doesn't differentiate between conventional or syn 5W-20--probably too confusing for most of the public. I do not think that anyone will notice a difference in engine condition when any top brand conventional or syn is used according to the manual. Any fuel savings is unlikely to cover the extra cost of syn. There are different qualities of synthetic oils, and a cheap syn is no better than a top conventional. Any of the top brands are excellent...Pennz, Mobil, Castrol, etc.

The advantages of synthetic are less thinning at very high temperatures and less thickening when very cold. They oxidize more slowly for a longer service life. Those few made from a PAO base have a higher film strength. Most oils marketed in the U.S. and Canada as "synthetic" are made from highly refined petroleum base oil called Group 3. Good oils, but not allowed to be called synthetic in the rest of the world.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page